Ubuntu on the server

Story: Could Dapper Drake give Ubuntu a last laugh in Linux server spaceTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
tuxchick2

Jun 15, 2006
10:56 AM EDT
"To some extent I can agree that there is not room for another Linux that looks like Red Hat or SUSE, but there is room for one that does not look like either of them," Zachary said.

Indeed. I would rather run Debian on a server any day. It's a whole lot easier to administer, and doesn't have all the mega-modifications of Red Hat/Fedora or SUSE. The Ubuntu server comes with a pre-fab LAMP stack. I would like to see a prefab mail server based on anything-but-Sendmail with all the pieces already in place: MTA, IMAP, POP, groupware, Webmail, anti-spam and A/V. Make it talk to a Web browser and no more hassles with supporting multiple mail clients. I call that sysadmin happiness.
number6x

Jun 15, 2006
12:30 PM EDT
Maybe we need 'meta-packages' groups of .deb packages, instal and config script to add needed suites to a debian server.

add Ruby/gems/rails[mySQL, PstgreSQL],[Apache,LigHTTPd],capistrano and configure. add java,j2ee,hibernate,eclipse,[mySQL, PstgreSQL],apache, tomcat/jakarta and configure.

all from apt-get.

They would really be just .debs with dependancies on other .debs, and scripts to handle configuration.

I might try to do a rails set (if my current project gets caught up).
richo123

Jun 15, 2006
1:08 PM EDT
Actually there is a package somewhat like this in the Ubuntu universe repo. It is called meta-ul-mail-server. Looks like it is a port of User Linux..

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!