very cool

Story: Lyricue Gets Lifted to Higher GroundTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
herzeleid

Jun 28, 2006
9:13 AM EDT
This could come in handy in trying to get some of these churches off of ms windoze - there is really no good reason for churches to send tribute to redmond for the privilege of using a buggy virus-ridden platform. Linux seems tailor-made for such organizations, but alas, resistance to change runs deep...
dcparris

Jun 28, 2006
9:30 AM EDT
You're right. Churches face the same resistance as anyone else. The good news is that my book is still selling on Lulu. Lyricue is featured in the book, including a photo of Lyricue in action. So maybe we're starting to make some progress.
tuxchick2

Jun 28, 2006
12:32 PM EDT
oh man, you mean you want to destroy the tradition of the caller? It just isn't church without a tightly-corseted woman thumping on a piano and yelling out the next lines-

BRINGING IN THE SHEAVES bringing in the sheaves

WE WILL COME REJOICING we will come rejoicing

Though your church does sound like it's rather more contemporary than that.
jimf

Jun 28, 2006
12:44 PM EDT
Thanks for that image tuxchick :-o... I suspect that these days most members wouldn't even know what a SHEAVE was... Or a corset.
dcparris

Jun 28, 2006
2:23 PM EDT
That still happens in the country churches, I know. But the, um, "citified" folk use all that new-fangled tek-nawlogy to put the words up on the screen so you don't have to fiddle with which page to flip to, and whether your hymn book is the new green one or the old red one (which usually means the song is on another page altogether). Plus the old fogies can see the wall screens better. And if you can't see that piece of chicken sticking between the pastor's teeth because you're all the way up in the 3rd balcony, don't worry. Those wall screen displays are great for video-ing the sermon, chicken remnants and all. Why waste that opportunity on a bogged-down Windoze box? :-)
dinotrac

Jun 28, 2006
5:32 PM EDT
Rev -

No kidding!

At my church, they have a full-scale stage with lights and hookups, a second-story tech-booth at the end of the auditorium with all the lighting controls (computerized) and the computers driving the three screens in back of the stage. Oh yeah...there's another one controlling the lyric box which flashes lyrics on the back of the auditorium for the benefit of singers on stage.

Sound is still done in the tech booth, but we're building a ground-floor sound console because we believe we will do a better job of getting volume and balance right if we're actually down by the congregation.

And that's not counting temporary gizmos like the rig we brought in for our easter shows to create a rainstorm on stage that the audience could come up and walk through.

Gotta tell you -- it ain't the way I remember church when I was a kid.

dcparris

Jun 28, 2006
5:42 PM EDT
I was shocked to discover that one of the InfoCentral spin-offs offers bar-code attendance tracking. I'm sorry, but I just won't be attending that church. However, I understand it comes in quite handy for the nursery facilities on Sunday morning. Whoddathunk the church would have much use for hi-tech like that?
dinotrac

Jun 28, 2006
6:18 PM EDT
>Whoddathunk the church would have much use for hi-tech like that?

Pretty amazing stuff...but, I guess it kind of makes sense, especially if your church is reaching out to those who are reaching out...

Got to get past their attention span.

Beyond that, a little technology can be a big boon when you need to get a bunch of work done by volunteers.
tuxchick2

Jun 28, 2006
6:24 PM EDT
Bar codes is the mark of the beast.

*spit* *scratch*
dinotrac

Jun 28, 2006
6:46 PM EDT
TC -

Oh my goodness....you mean...

The Devil is a stock clerk at the Safeway store?
jimf

Jun 28, 2006
7:14 PM EDT
> The Devil is a stock clerk at the Safeway store?

Well, certainly at Walmart ;-).
grouch

Jun 28, 2006
7:50 PM EDT
Church? Lights? Computers? Y'all don't just find a clearing in the woods and sit around admiring the handiwork for a spell? You folks is strange.
number6x

Jun 29, 2006
4:31 AM EDT
Thick Limestone or adobe walls, stained glass windows, candles flickering, a hint of leftover incense from a funeral, songs in a paper hymnal (usually printed by the J.S. Paluch and Sons company).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!