umm.. o.k....

Story: Letter Charges Illegal forced sale of MS Windows, EC Says Not LikelyTotal Replies: 3
Author Content
rshaw

Jul 03, 2006
1:03 PM EDT
"I understand that Microsoft's licensing agreements with PC manufacturers encourage (through the grant of rebates) the pre-installation of operating systems on PCs. However, this does not have to be a Microsoft operating system."

everyone who believes a vendor would dare to install a non-m$ operating system after accepting microsofts' "rebates" please stand up...

anyone... bueller?

ABCC

Jul 03, 2006
1:49 PM EDT
This looks like a mail that gets sent to 95% of all people who complain. Maybe the following is actually part of his signature :)

That said we have not yet finalized our review of the market and are grateful that you took time to inform us of the problems you have encountered. Against this background, I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that the Commision intends to examine these questions in greater detail in the future.

salparadise

Jul 03, 2006
10:24 PM EDT
Quoting:I would like to take this opportunity to inform you that the Commission intends to examine these questions in greater detail in the future.

They said without actually committing themselves to anything, like a date.

If Microsoft have, as we plainly know they have, manipulated the market so that the common perception is that there is no alternative, then it follows that Windows is the only choice.

A choice of one is not a choice, unless your name is Hobson.

(The origin of the term Hobson's choice is said to be in the name of one Thomas Hobson (ca. 1544-1631), at Cambridge, England, who kept a livery stable and required every customer to take either the horse nearest the stable door or none at all).

It maybe necessary to have a "show up at the EC with laptops running Linux day" to show them that Windows is not the only choice.

A couple of celebrities on our side would help. Though is grieves me to say it.

The bottom line is that a few Linux users versus the grief that Microsoft would cause if provoked over this makes the outcome more or less a given.
hkwint

Jul 04, 2006
11:46 PM EDT
Hobson: To eat or be eaten (men are wolves to each other)

Sounds like MS to me...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!