This Guy Nailed it.

Story: A great operating system is about detailsTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
devnet

Jul 07, 2006
6:12 AM EDT
From the article:
Quoting:One of the first things I want to do is connect to the Internet to check mail or check for upgrades.

On the MacBook I use the networking tool to put in my ADSL account details, save and click the connect icon. Moments later I am on the Internet and setting up my mail.

On the Ubuntu machine I open the "networking" tool. After clicking the various tabs it becomes obvious that there isn't anything in this tool to set up my Ethernet-connected ADSL modem. So I search the other menus. Nothing.

After a few minutes of frustration I read the built-in documentation which not-so-helpfully points to a discussion on the (online) wiki that explains installing DSL connections. Thanks! I'll look it up when I get online.
Right on the money.

This is why I use PCLinuxOS and keep telling new users to use it. In PCLOS you open the PCLinuxOS Control Center >> Choose Networking >> Choose Create a network interface (LAN, ADSL, Wireless, etc.)

Then walk through the (gasp) wizard that takes you step by step through getting your ADSL up and running. It's important to note that PCLOS has had this since it's .71 version around 2 years ago.

I'm sure he'll get roasted alive for being overly critical of Ubuntu, but this isn't his intention as he noted later on (stating it's most likely the Gnome Desktop).

Whatever the case may be, there are many reasons to choose a desktop for a new user. Ease of use should be #1. Many new users choose Ubuntu for the wrong reasons. This guy nailed it on the head from a new user perspective...something I've been preaching Ubuntu hasn't been paying attention to since 5.04.
jimf

Jul 07, 2006
6:50 AM EDT
> (stating it's most likely the Gnome Desktop).

Well, I don't want to get into a GUI war, but, It's also my opinion that KDE is a lot easier for a new user. Right now kanotix would be my choice.
devnet

Jul 07, 2006
7:25 AM EDT
Jim

Agreed. Kanotix is fantastic for a new user and a Debian base. Can't wait until Kano releases the next version...it looks promising.
SFN

Jul 07, 2006
7:28 AM EDT
So what would be the equivalent in terms of ease of use for someone who prefers Gnome?
jimf

Jul 07, 2006
8:20 AM EDT
> someone who prefers Gnome?

SFN,

A new user doesn't know enough to make the choice between KDE and Gnome. Once you are beyond the new user stage, and decide you prefer gnome (go figure), I wouldn't have a suggestion other than to stay with something that uses the Debian packaging system.
SFN

Jul 07, 2006
8:28 AM EDT
Well, while a new user won't know enough about the differences between KDE and Gnome, when presented with the two they will choose one based on looks. The new users that I've known that have seen both seem to prefer Gnome unless they specifically want one that looks like Windows. (also, not a GUI War thing - it's just that KDE does have a familiar look for Windows users)
jimf

Jul 07, 2006
8:54 AM EDT
> they will choose one based on looks

Actually, I rarely see anyone with 'no' experience in Linux have much of a preference. As far as appearience, I do get a lot of "I want a desktop like yours", so, we also get into who is advising :)... Sorry, but that can't be avoided.
grouch

Jul 07, 2006
1:46 PM EDT
I'm glad that there is more choice than just either KDE or GNOME.
jimf

Jul 07, 2006
1:53 PM EDT
> I'm glad that there is more choice than just either KDE or GNOME.

Absolutely grouch. I'm just not sure that those are appropriate for first time users. Then again, much of that has to do with the individual new user and the person giving guidance and advise.
grouch

Jul 07, 2006
6:13 PM EDT
jimf:

KDE and GNOME may each be a proper generic GUI for a computer on a store shelf or deployed on a corporate network where a computer may have multiple users over time. In a situation such as you describe, where someone is helping the newbie get set up, the advisor is free to customize like crazy to suit the specific newbie. KDE and GNOME are just like any other option for the advisor, then. LiveCDs are fantastic for helping to figure out what a newbie likes.

Most newbies I've helped actually preferred simplicity and rejected both KDE and GNOME for being too much like MS: cluttered.
sbergman27

Jul 07, 2006
9:14 PM EDT
> I'm glad that there is more choice than just either KDE or GNOME.

TWM and Athena widgets rock! Things really started going downhill when that fvwm thing came out. ;-)
jimf

Jul 07, 2006
9:54 PM EDT
> LiveCDs are fantastic for helping to figure out what a newbie likes.

Very true.

> actually preferred simplicity and rejected both KDE and GNOME for being too much like MS: cluttered.

KDE certainly doesn't have to appear cluttered. It's actually the easiest to make it look any way you please. Most of the new users I've run into just find simplicity and some of the more austerer GUIs .. well just 'strange'. Of course that also depends on individual taste and the hardware vintage and requirements, and, the new user's previous experience. Performance is certainly much zippier on vintage hardware using a lite GUI. In that case I'd recommend one of those.
monkymind

Jul 08, 2006
12:24 AM EDT
jimf> Actually, I rarely see anyone with 'no' experience in Linux have much of a preference.

My experience setting up Linux for newbies is the same. They don't mind KDE or Gnome as long as they know where their apps are.

OTOH those that consider themselves Windows power users can be impossible to please - they generally want Linux to be like a free Windows.

RE: Gnome vs KDE. They are 98-99% alike! BTW if anyone wants simplified Konqueror toolbars - try this script: http://www.kde-look.org/content/show.php?content=39419

Cheers rob

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!