I don't see how this is relevent

Story: End to Win98 support may boost desktop LinuxTotal Replies: 1
Author Content
theboomboomcars

Jul 11, 2006
11:54 AM EDT
"This issue is not unique to the IT Industry. For example, there are many people on the road who choose to drive the latest cars with the latest safety features such as ABS brakes and air-bags, but at the same time, there are many others who are happy driving their cars which may not have these features.

"It is not the 'responsibility' of automotive manufacturers to have their customers acquire the latest technology. This is the same issue for makers of mobile phones, washing machines, dishwashers, TVs fridges, radios, and so on," said Watson.

Security updates are not the latest technology, they are fixing the oringinal problems that the manufacturer put in to begin with. Older cars that are out of warranty are still fixed under recalls because of problems the manufacturer put in. I had a 6 year old car that was fixed free because of a recall. Although most car manufacturers don't have to issue recalls that many years after manufacture because they have them fixed.

I also thought it was funny when they said linux distributions are typically only supported for a year or two since to upgrade to the next distribution is the same as applying security updates for the most part. In SUSE you can do it with yast, with Ubuntu the update manager said there is a new distribution availble and to click a button to upgrade. It doesn't cost anything extra and, for the most part, all of your current software works is is automatically updated.
jimf

Jul 11, 2006
12:17 PM EDT
I've noticed that nearly all former Windows users are amazed when they find out how easy it is to upgrade the system, and to acquire new apps, in Linux. Thinking back I guess I was too. All that without the invasive MS presence looking over your shoulder.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!