hmmmmm.....

Story: Microsoft Fined €280.5 Million by EU Commission: "No Company is Above the Law"Total Replies: 9
Author Content
dinotrac

Jul 12, 2006
9:10 AM EDT
Though I don't know why they're concerned about a PDF reader -- Adobe makes money from PDF makers, not PDF readers --- a few interesting notes:

1. Linux losing share in Europe?? That surprises me. 2. Good cooperation between EU and DOJ? Nice. Now..if only the DOJ would turn up the heat on this side of the ocean. 3. Microsoft didn't know what was expected of them?

R-i-i-i-ght.
grouch

Jul 12, 2006
9:26 AM EDT
dinotrac:

IIUC, the concern is that MS is trying to use Vista as leverage to squeeze out PDF. It's embrace, extend, extinguish time again.
dinotrac

Jul 12, 2006
9:38 AM EDT
grouch -

I just don't understand how incorporating a PDF reader does that.

For that matter...I can get free PDF readers on Linux, and Free PDF writing with OpenOffice.

I bite my tongue as I say this -- it almost seems unfair to Microsoft.

Now excuse me while I go wash my mouth out with soap. Er...fingers.
grouch

Jul 12, 2006
9:51 AM EDT
dijnotrac:

Adobe insists on a license fee from MS. MS didn't like the terms, so they put out "news" about a bit spat between Adobe and MS and, regrettably, of course, will use their own, non-standard PDF replacement XPS. PDF is an international standard.
dcparris

Jul 12, 2006
9:52 AM EDT
Dino: > Good cooperation between EU and DOJ? Nice. Now..if only the DOJ would turn up the heat on this side of the ocean.

From the last response from Ms. Kroes - Neelie Kroes: Well, we are living in a democracy, so that is taken as a new issue. By the way, then I am misusing your question and I'm getting back to the last quaestion of your predecessor. When I'm looking at the corporation with the US Department of Justice, it is ongoing and it is very productive and I also understand that the Department of Justice has expressed concerns about Microsoft's obligations under its settlement and that it's now following and talking about US ministry of Justice similar approach to ours on this specific issue of technical documentation. So it's not only Europe which is following what they are doing and it's also in the country where they have their head office and we can be aware of a good cooperation between the United States colleagues and ourselves.

It looks to me like the USDOJ just might start turning up the heat.
tuxchick2

Jul 12, 2006
9:55 AM EDT
The EU decision is much broader than some dumb ole PDF reader:

"That Decision found that Microsoft had abused its dominant position under Article 82 EC, and required Microsoft to disclose complete and accurate interface documentation which would allow non-Microsoft work group servers to achieve full interoperability with Windows PCs and servers. Today's Decision, adopted under Article 24(2) of Regulation 1/2003, finds that Microsoft has not fulfilled this obligation."

It's good stuff and worth a detailed read.
dinotrac

Jul 12, 2006
10:54 AM EDT
tc --

Didn't mean to imply it wasn't. Just don't understand the PDF reader bit, that's all.
tuxchick2

Jul 12, 2006
11:08 AM EDT
dino, me neither. More of private peeing contest between Adobe and MS, methinks.
hiohoaus

Jul 12, 2006
4:34 PM EDT
MS fined a quarter billion Euros for not playing fair, and ordered to start playing fair in some ways.

Not perfect, but a much cleaner and more direct approach than the USA's, I think.
grouch

Jul 12, 2006
10:35 PM EDT
dinotrac: >"1. Linux losing share in Europe?? That surprises me. "

Since nobody else answered you, I'll give it a shot. :o)

I think what you're referring to is Ms. Kroes' remarks and chart regarding "estimated market share in the workgroup server operating systems market". That's a subset of operating systems and even a subset of server operating systems. It's where MS uses lots of "features" to keep others out. It's also where Samba fights a good fight.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!