My thoughts

Story: Consumer-friendly Linux Distro Found in Linspire Five-OTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
Teron

Jul 17, 2006
10:09 AM EDT
First, on grouch's comment: If the writer seems to be a newbie and is thoroughly impressed, doesn't that mean the folk at Linspire did their job?

The report itself, well... dunno. The reporter is definitely clueless on some other app installers in Linux (namely Ubuntu's Add&Remove applet, for example, which does away with packages and abstracts them with the real apps. Good for the novice).

Other than praising CNR, I dound the review to have little substance apart from the fact that the proprietary WiFi drivers Linspire has bought work. Good to know that the WiFi works, but I'm used to a little more comprehensive reviews. (Probably due to an overdose of MadPenguin, but... :D)
grouch

Jul 17, 2006
11:16 AM EDT
Teron: >"First, on grouch's comment: If the writer seems to be a newbie and is thoroughly impressed, doesn't that mean the folk at Linspire did their job?"

That seems apparent. The phrasing of your question seems to indicate you thought I was implying they did not satisfy the (presumed) newbie's needs, but I don't see how.

Teron: >"The report itself, well... dunno. The reporter is definitely clueless on some other app installers in Linux (namely Ubuntu's Add&Remove applet, for example, which does away with packages and abstracts them with the real apps. Good for the novice)."

The stumbles of the reporter are what gave me the impression he is a newbie. I didn't find any egregious errors for which I would write the reporter. It looks like he enjoyed the experience enough he will likely continue using some form of GNU/Linux, at least part-time, and will likely learn more.

As to substance, remember that his target audience is not sysadmins, developers nor experienced GNU/Linux users.
Teron

Jul 18, 2006
12:30 AM EDT
"That seems apparent. The phrasing of your question seems to indicate you thought I was implying they did not satisfy the (presumed) newbie's needs, but I don't see how."

Sorry if it came out that way. I'm not a native speaker, so I might put things weirdly at times.

As for the rest of your comments, agreed. The report probably would've been quite different had he used some 100% free distro, though. Even if you despise hybrids, that report just goes on to show that, for some people, they work. (And, if nothing else, they convert people away from M$, so they are more receptive to the ideals after they've fallen in love with their new OS. :D)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!