Failed to load microcode..

Story: A Gentoo diary part 1Total Replies: 6
Author Content
techiem2

Jul 20, 2006
8:31 AM EDT
As I recall from testing out the bcm43xx driver in portage (before the newer version was put in the kernel), you need to use the bcm43xx-fwcutter package to rip the firmware from the windows driver for the linux driver to use. I assume you may need to do the same for the in-kernel version. I am currently using ndiswrapper for mine, though I should probably update the kernel and try out the new in-kernel driver to see if it's stable.
hkwint

Jul 20, 2006
11:39 AM EDT
Well, that was the strange part: When trying to emerge bcm43xx-fwcutter, portage told be the package was obsolete because I had the 2.6.17 kernel. I don't have any idea what was exactly happening, but I thought it should just work.

Thanks anyway. We might as well try to use the ndiswrapper next time we try.
Inhibit

Jul 20, 2006
11:47 AM EDT
Wasn't the BCM driver added into the 2.6.17 kernel? In which case the error message would be correct.

Ah, microcode. nm. I mis-read the article :). --edit
sbergman27

Jul 20, 2006
2:37 PM EDT
Most everyone I've been in contact with who have broadcom chipsets say that ndiswrapper is still the best way to go. It's what I use.
Inhibit

Jul 21, 2006
6:31 AM EDT
Sounds like something to investigate. I'll have to take a looksie around the office and see if I've got any Broadcom's to fiddle with!
hkwint

Jul 21, 2006
7:41 AM EDT
Ok, thanks in advance, and let us know.
wazoo42

Jul 21, 2006
9:04 AM EDT
Here's the tutorial on the gentoo forums, and it looks like the fwcutter is still needed. I haven't tried this yet (I did once and could never get the card to associate, but I have a 4318 which is known to have problems) with 2.6.17, but I'll let you know if I do.

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-409194-postdays-0-posto...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!