Unsubstantiated rumour

Story: Suspected Weekend Hacker Attack on UbuntuTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
jdub

Jul 23, 2006
9:28 AM EDT
Wow, you guys are posting unsubstantiated rumours from blog posts now? The data centre that Canonical's servers are hosted in is temporarily down due to a primary and backup power outage. I've noted this on the linked blog -- might be worth changing the title and content here, too.
number6x

Jul 23, 2006
9:31 AM EDT
Please note the comment left on the blog: "Please don't spread unsubstantiated crap. The datacentre that Canonical's servers are hosted in has been crippled by a primary and backup power outage. Please change the title and content of your post. (posted by Jeff Waugh.)"

I'd say this blogger is just wildly speculating.

It would probably be a good idea for the editors to note that the blog is reporting speculation that has been shown to be wrong.
Tracer

Jul 23, 2006
10:07 AM EDT
Wow. Sorry for this. Please retract. Was just trying to understand why only:

* us.archive.ubuntu.com was down last night * why its IP address last night translated to Agronne National Laboratories
richo123

Jul 23, 2006
12:18 PM EDT
Thanks for the clarification Jeff.
devnet

Jul 23, 2006
12:21 PM EDT
Doesn't really matter does it?

Afterall, "Suspected" means unsubstantiated...if you suspect someone of doing something, you have no proof.

Why don't you guys get some thicker skin and just not respond to it? Makes me laugh how when someone puts anything negative in print toward ubuntu people rally to its cause and don't even read the articles in question.
richo123

Jul 23, 2006
12:24 PM EDT
Personally I prefer real information to unsubstanitated bullcrap.
dcparris

Jul 23, 2006
12:28 PM EDT
To a large extent, this is my fault. I lost power last night, and this morning found our queues nearly empty of any serious news, and wanted to post a few stories before going to another engagement. I did not take the time to vet the blog post. I will give more thought to this kind of thing in the future.
Tracer

Jul 23, 2006
1:24 PM EDT
Hey guys, take it easy. If I could delete this post, I would. I was just trying to put 2 and 2 together. Anyone still yet know why the address to us.archive.ubuntu.com, when run through 'apt-get update', spits out an IP address that, when run through whois, referred to Argonne National Laboratories? So, the power outage is one thing, but then why ubuntu's loosely affiliated forums *as well as* the ubuntu site? Why not just soley ubuntu's site? And why the DNS hiccup with Argonne? What else was I supposed to think?

So, according to one of the Canonical hotshots, it was all power related and nothing more. Let's bury this. Anyone got a chisel so that I can take this story out of this website, and perhaps some pliers to pull the nails out my back??

Next time, I'll be more careful. Gosh, gee, I would post it in a forum as a query. Oh, no, that website was down.
jimf

Jul 23, 2006
1:50 PM EDT
ROFL... Now about those alien spaceships...
Sander_Marechal

Jul 23, 2006
2:04 PM EDT
I don't know about the DNS. Maybe it's a side effect of the outtage. I'm not sure what happens if DNS fails in a horrible way. Ubuntuforums is easy. Somewhere around the start of Hoary IIRC ubuntuforums.org moved to the canonical servers. Do a DNS lookup and you'll see.
devnet

Jul 24, 2006
3:57 AM EDT
I know that when power goes down on my netblock, I forward NO WHERE. So this guy has a good point. It should have just popped up as no connection available.

Instead, it forwards to somewhere. That's suspicious to say the least...that requires a DNS record to be altered.
jdixon

Jul 24, 2006
6:13 AM EDT
> Instead, it forwards to somewhere. That's suspicious to say the least...that requires a DNS record to be altered.

Or a backup DNS server that's not been set up right.
devnet

Jul 24, 2006
9:20 AM EDT
ha ha! who needs backups?!? Ubuntu doesn't! ha ha !

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!