Windows already saves Linux users money

Story: Re-thinking the Windows RefundTotal Replies: 9
Author Content
jkouyoumjian

Jul 25, 2006
11:35 AM EDT
The value in a new PC sale is NOT reflected in the price you pay. When you buy a new computer with Windows installed, you also get many other software packages and offers included by the hardware vendor. Each of those companies paid the hardware vendor for the opportunity to be included with that new computer. This increases the revenue of the hardware vendor. With these cross-marketing programs, the hardware vendor can even sell their computers to you at a loss (on the hardware portion) and still make lots of profit.

When you wipe all that stuff out and install Linux, you get the benefit of the discount, without having to use Windows and all the rest.

The actual cost of a PC with no OS and bundled marketing would be a lot higher. Therefore, I say: "Thank you, Microsoft, Dell, AOL, and all the rest, for subsidizing my new Linux computer!"
dcparris

Jul 25, 2006
12:04 PM EDT
Well there's an interesting point.
r_a_trip

Jul 25, 2006
1:53 PM EDT
jkouyoumjian, one up for you. Excellent observation.
jkouyoumjian

Jul 25, 2006
3:03 PM EDT
I'd love to find out how much each sale is worth in "extras". Perhaps there is an artilce out there indexed in Google. It would be really interesting.
jimf

Jul 25, 2006
3:16 PM EDT
My observation has been that most companies that play games with 'extras' also play games with the hardware quality, essentially low-balling everything. Most times you really do get what you pay for.

My advise is to build, or at least spec everything. If that isn't possible, then go to one of the outfits that will supply either a computer with Linux installed, or a no-OS one. At least you know that Linux will probably run on it.
grouch

Jul 25, 2006
3:55 PM EDT
I'm with jimf on this. I'd rather *know* what motherboard, case, power supply, RAM, drives, monitor, mouse, keyboard, etc. that I'm getting.
dinotrac

Jul 25, 2006
3:59 PM EDT
jimf and grouch ----

YES SIR AND BOY HOWDY!!!

I have found that the real savings in building my own machine doesn't come with the first machine so much as the iterations I am able to achieve through a rather long life cycle that may include additions and upgrades.

Of course, I have saved money, too. For example, back when I put my Athlon 64 together, I was able to choose components that most sellers wouldn't match up...fast cpu, fast memory, fast and large but not huge disk, so-so graphics (but decently fast 2d) and carry forward my old sound card.

Why? For video editing, which requires lots of cpu performance, good disk, plenty of memory, but is actually very easy on the graphics card.

jimf

Jul 25, 2006
4:39 PM EDT
> Why? For video editing, which requires lots of cpu performance, good disk, plenty of memory, but is actually very easy on the graphics card.

Suprisingly, it's the same for still graphics. most of the time I don't even bother to compile the ATI drivers for my 8500.. a lot of card memory means that only open gl doesn't work well... Big loss ;-)
number6x

Jul 26, 2006
5:18 AM EDT
jimf,

you make an interesting point.

Yesterday LXER linked to an article on El Reg (http://lxer.com/module/newswire/ext_link.php?rid=65762)

The article explored how Google saves money by building their own servers. The conventional wisdom says to buy from the big, just in time server OEM's. Someone like Dell. These big guys can use economies of scale to produce the servers for less than Google can, and Google will save.

If you translate that conventional wisdom into English, You realize that the 'economies of scale' thing just means that Dell can spend the time to look for the cheapest parts, in order to underprice all of their competitors. So the benefit to Google is supposed to be cheaper costs.

This may lower Google's cost for purchasing servers, but not for maintaining them. Google has found that building their own servers with better quality components lowers their cost of operations.

For instance, using better but costlier power supplies increases up time and lowers Google's air conditioning bill. They actually end up saving more by buying costlier servers and bucking the conventional wisdom.

This is probably why Google implemented Linux back when they did.

However, for the individual buyer, using the discounts applied to a machine may make the purchase of a laptop or higher end machine possible. Even though the components would be better if they spent a little more.
grouch

Jul 26, 2006
7:13 AM EDT
Introducing the New! Improved! DuAwl Surreal Stereo system! Now with 7 convenient cupholders actually molded into the top of the luxurious, walnut-grain vinyl cabinet! You and your friends can now keep track of your drinks while jamming to the tunes from AM, FM, Cassette and 8-track! All of these come built-in and ready to play! The big power of the INCLUDED 4 inch woofers keep you rocking all night long! Act now and get 14 music tapes FREE!

I think I'll stick to picking my own parts.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!