Call me a cynic

Story: First look: FreespireTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
panickedthumb

Jul 28, 2006
12:06 PM EDT
I don't see Linspire/Freespire doing anything really good for GNU/Linux or Open Source in general.

as the editors note says, this isn't providing/supporting free codecs, only offering non-free codecs legally. This seems like advertising to me-- see what you can do with Freespire? Now, just imagine what you can do with LINSPIRE!

Then don't get me started on CNR, or OOoFF (when they packaged together OpenOffice and Firefox and sold it-- with no modifications-- for 30 bucks)....

I don't know, call me a cynic, but I fail to see the good in any of this honestly.
dcparris

Jul 28, 2006
12:32 PM EDT
Actually, I don't have a problem with them distributing OOo and Firefox for a fee - that's allowed by the GPL and encouraged by the FSF. You can buy my book from Lulu, and then turn around and either give it away or re-sell it yourself. If you can make more money than I can from my book, all the power to you.

I agree with you on everything else though.
tuxchick2

Jul 28, 2006
12:52 PM EDT
meh, pretty dim review. What's the point of using Freespire? It ships with hardly anything except old kernels and apps. Folks who want all those non-Free codecs included on the install disk have a lot of choices. Freespire seems pointless. But then I don't like Linspire anyway. Not because they love non-free crap, but because of their double-talk.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!