feature request: personal killfile

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
incinerator

Jul 31, 2006
4:39 AM EDT
I request a "killfile" option for lxer.com accounts. The standard use case would be like this: 1.) User incinerator doesn't like the works of SJVN 2.) incinerator adds SJVN (optionally: other clueless authors) to the "killfile". 3.) When incinerator accesses the lxer whilst logged in, all articles whose author's SVJN will be filtered out and be invisible by incinerator. 4.) (Optionally) Whenever articles have been filtered out for (similiar to freshmeat.net's filtering option), a wee status message tells incinerator that n posts have been filtered out by killfile filtering. A link will lead to a new page showing the filtered articles only (a la freshmet.net's filtering system). 5.) (Optionally): lxer maintains a page of virtual "cluebat necessity rankings", i.e. rankings on who has been "killfiled" by the highest number of lxer readers. Monthly awards etc. would be an idea, as well ;-)

Regards, Dominik
SFN

Jul 31, 2006
5:13 AM EDT
Great idea. Would be handy to apply it to comments as well. I think the ability to ignore certain people would be greatly appreciated by some.
dinotrac

Jul 31, 2006
5:15 AM EDT
SFN -

Last I looked, we already have the ability to ignore certain people.
SFN

Jul 31, 2006
5:50 AM EDT
Quoting:Last I looked, we already have the ability to ignore certain people.

We do? I've never seen that. I'll definitely look for it.
dinotrac

Jul 31, 2006
6:04 AM EDT
SFN -

No need to look. It's built-in. Just don't read their posts.
incinerator

Jul 31, 2006
6:20 AM EDT
lol
sbergman27

Jul 31, 2006
6:37 AM EDT
Quoting:No need to look. It's built-in.

Back when calculators first came out, there was a concern that people would lose the basic skill of performing arithmetic without the machines.

I don't think the people of that time could have envisioned this thread. ;-P
incinerator

Jul 31, 2006
6:58 AM EDT
In case someone doesn't get it, I was being sarcastic. I don't mind not having a killfile for lxer as long as SJVN's stories don't make it to the newswire.
sbergman27

Jul 31, 2006
7:02 AM EDT
I strongly disagree. I find SJVN's stories to be interesting and mostly pretty good, even if he doesn't always say what we want to hear.
dinotrac

Jul 31, 2006
7:04 AM EDT
Steve ---

For the most part, I agree.

I'm really curious, though as to why anything about this story could possibly bother incinerator. He's never struck me as a Microsoft fan.
SFN

Jul 31, 2006
7:19 AM EDT
Quoting:In case someone doesn't get it, I was being sarcastic.

I didn't get it. I still think it's a good idea, though.
dek

Jul 31, 2006
12:48 PM EDT
Generally I like SJVN's stuff. There are a few things I don't agree with him on but nothing out of the ordinary.

However, I'd like a killfile for those who post idiotic comments!! On second thought, that probably wouldn't work either because then you'd have no idea what the responses were about -- but you get my drift! There have been a couple of times I've wished that I coiuld put some commenters on ignore.

Don K.

JSYK, no one in this thread is on my ignore list!!
grouch

Jul 31, 2006
1:13 PM EDT
dek: >"JSYK, no one in this thread is on my ignore list!!"

How about now?

>"On second thought, that probably wouldn't work either because then you'd have no idea what the responses were about -- but you get my drift!"

I can vouch for that from trying it on other fora. It affects the commentary from those you do not filter, unless they also filter the same people you do. For any commenter who sometimes sparks decent conversation, the best filter still seems to be based on the reader's choice on a comment by comment basis rather than a script.

As has already been pointed out, the easiest way to filter the news is just don't click those links. Comments take a little extra effort because the "Latest Discussions" box doesn't tell who started a thread nor who participated. Still, you can blink past a name and comment.
dek

Jul 31, 2006
4:36 PM EDT
Grouch: How about now?

Grouch, you're probably never gonna be on my ignore list because you're too much fun!! Can't say I always agree with you but even when you're wrong you're still fun!

In my post before, I was maybe half serious about the ability to put certain posters on ignore. I don't see any way to give that ability with out doing a major rewrite of LXer -- and that's something I wouldn't want to see happen. Lxer just works -- and ROCKS!!

Don K.
sbergman27

Jul 31, 2006
4:53 PM EDT
I don't like the kill file idea. Pretty much everyone here has something interesting to contribute. And if the occassional flake shows up, I think it is useful and beneficial to *know* what the flake is doing and saying. I mean, if you noticed that the kitchen in your house was on fire, you wouldn't just shut the door and ignore it. In the same way, I think LXers would do best to stay apprised.

In a way, LXer is our house. And if the kitchen's on fire, everyone should know about it.
grouch

Jul 31, 2006
4:59 PM EDT
sbergman27: >"I mean, if you noticed that the kitchen in your house was on fire, you wouldn't just shut the door and ignore it."

You must've tuned in to the dinotrac & grouch show. I can't remember, did you grab a fire extinguisher or marshmellows and a stick?
sbergman27

Jul 31, 2006
5:07 PM EDT
Well, kitchen fire is not exactly the best model for that situation. Dog fight in the livingroom might be more apt. And with 2 young male terriers, that's one I know all about. ;-)
grouch

Jul 31, 2006
5:34 PM EDT
Thanks, dek.

You, too, sbergman27, for that "young" part. (We need to take up a collection to get you some glasses).

The incident in the living room with the old dogs growling and snarling might have gone too far for recovery if not for the participation by others. This also argues against filtration by script instead of the line-item veto each person has while reading.

wjl

Aug 01, 2006
1:02 AM EDT
grouch> "The incident in the living room with the old dogs growling and snarling..."

Hehe grouch - still not enough after your fine barbeque?

cheers, wjl
dthacker

Sep 13, 2006
3:42 AM EDT
Now *there's* a case for a killfile..... Dave

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!