Firefox Flaws Exposed by Hackers

Story: Firefox Flaws Exposed by HackersTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
NoCaDrummer

Aug 02, 2006
12:29 PM EDT
Some of those responding to the "ShortNews.com" article state that Firefox doesn't let you choose where a file is downloaded. I've been using Firefox for a while, and know this is not the case. Open the Preferences, click on "Downloads", and select the place where they'll normally go (e.g. "Desktop") or select "Ask me where to save every file" Geez, people. LEARN your application if you're going to use it. I'd still rather use Firefox over IE ANY day. Mostly because I don't trust Microsoft to not log what I'm doing.
dcparris

Aug 02, 2006
12:52 PM EDT
You're right about the download issue. I was about to ask if people are really that stupid, but never mind. I cannot use Internet Exploder except on other people's boxes. Apparently it doesn't run on GNU systems.
techiem2

Aug 02, 2006
1:04 PM EDT
>Apparently it doesn't run on GNU systems.

Unless you're really masochistic and install it under wine... But then you end up with a rather broken IE...(no activex, no non-standard ports....) (yes, I admit I did it once just for the irony of it)
jdixon

Aug 02, 2006
1:24 PM EDT
> I cannot use Internet Exploder except on other people's boxes. Apparently it doesn't run on GNU systems.

Sure it does. It runs fine under Wine. Not perfectly, but good enough for those sites which simply won't work with FIrefox, Konqueror, or Opera.
dcparris

Aug 02, 2006
2:37 PM EDT
Clarification: MSIE does not run _natively_ on GNU systems. :-p
sbergman27

Aug 02, 2006
3:05 PM EDT
The Wine toolkit runs IE natively. Badly. But natively.
dcparris

Aug 02, 2006
9:03 PM EDT
O.k. Let's try this then. Starting to sound like Steven Titch... ;-)

MSIE will not run on _my_ GNU/Linux system, which lacks wine.
grouch

Aug 02, 2006
9:36 PM EDT
MSIE will never run on any computer of mine. They've provided ample evidence of their untrustworthy nature. They've provided ample evidence of their incompetence.

I don't need to stick my head into every hot stove I see in order to determine that it is a stupid thing to do.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 03, 2006
12:39 AM EDT
Quoting:Unless you're really masochistic and install it under wine... But then you end up with a rather broken IE...(no activex, no non-standard ports....)

Get ies4linux (http://www.tatanka.com.br/ies4linux/index-en.html). It has Flash, ActiveX, MS-JVM and all your other favourise MS stuff. The package does all the Wine configuration for you and sets up IE5, IE5.5 and IE56. It's very usefull for webdesign.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!