Visual Basic 6 = No Alternative (not true!!)

Story: Bringing a Linux box to Work - Part 1Total Replies: 3
Author Content
Igor

Aug 07, 2006
6:35 AM EDT

try GAMBAS... you will be pleasantly surprised !! http://gambas.sourceforge.net/
jimf

Aug 07, 2006
4:16 PM EDT
Some corrections and other useful options.

Notepad/Crimson Editor -> kwrite, gedit, and, a bunch of others including vim if you're a real nut, and the ability to use it with kate.

Visual Basic 6 -> gambas ...This is rapidly developing into a viable alternative, but you have to have the latest version to get all the bells and whistles, IMO it needs a little more time to get off the ground.

MS-SQL -> mysql

MS Acess -> knoda - fantistic front end & manager for mysql, postgres, sqlite, etc... Knoda may have a driver for Oracle Express.

Sage ACT 2006 Contact Mgr -> KOrganizer ... or just write something to go with mysql

Samsung Laser Printer drivers -> driver actually included in current cups
AnonymousCoward

Aug 07, 2006
4:24 PM EDT
MS-SQL -> many things; I know that at least PostgreSQL has features designed to ease transition, would be surprised at MySQL didn't, and there's at least Firebird as well.

Most of the other apps listed have at least three good FOSS equivalents. And more on the way, of course. (-:
jimf

Aug 07, 2006
4:54 PM EDT
AC,

The databases have been viable in Linux for some time. It's the management and front ends that have just started to appear in the last year or so.

I know that some will argue, but MS got it right with MS Access. The thing is a darn swiss army knife for desktop users. Because of that, many desktop users are crying for an equivalent in Linux.

Knoda gives the user the same control over queries, forms, and, reports, as well as setting all the fields and parameters. The range of database plugins has gotten truly amazing mysql, PostgreSQL, sqlite, Firebird, dbf3/4, Access, and I think there may even be one for Oracle.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!