A couple of points need correcting.

Story: Ubuntu Linux Just Keeps Getting BetterTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
salparadise

Aug 08, 2006
10:06 PM EDT
Quoting:Since Ubuntu's desktop is based on Gnome 2.14.3, it's multi-desktop capable...

Er, this is somewhat misleading. Multiple-desktops have been a feature of Linux since (before) I first stumbled across it nigh on 4 years ago.

Quoting:Is it so much to ask for the ability to simply put a DVD in and have it play? Macs and Windows based computers can do this so why not Linux at this point?

Wrong. This is a common misconception based on "I bought it from the shop with Windows on and everything worked out of the box". (I can't speak for the Mac as I've never done an install of OSX). If you do a cd install of Windows you'll be lucky if half your hardware works and DVD playback will not work.

Extremetech should know this or should be proof reading articles and picking up on this sort of error as it further compounds the lie that "those nice people at Microsoft care so much that they make sure everything will work for you whereas those sloppy Open Sourcers don't".
devnet

Aug 09, 2006
6:27 AM EDT
They also forgot to test all the filesystems like I did and didn't find the problem with installing XFS.

It crashes the installer. Fantastic for a LTS product eh? I'd have thought Ubuntu would fix this and publish a 'hey guys we fixed it' because I know that's what other Linux distros do. Still waiting.
tuxchick2

Aug 09, 2006
8:53 AM EDT
KDE users have the option to configure the behavior of removeable media. When you first plug in a USB disk, DVD, CD, whatever, a dialog box pops up and asks what you want to do: mount the device or play it, whichever is appropriate, or do nothing. Then you can make your choice the default behavior if you wish. If you choose 'do nothing' it creates a desktop icon, so you can make it go when you jolly well feel like it. I think Gnome has something similar, but my Ubuntu box is undergoing surgery so I can't check.

I don't know how other desktop environments handle removeable media, but since this is all handled by HAL and udev, it's just a question of supplying a nice pointy-clicky user interface.

The review itself is junk. Who gives a rip about how it installs and what the default packages are? Goshalmighty darn, hasn't this been done to death? I think the world gets the idea by now. It doesn't include Abiword? OMG WTF crisis! Package management is the #1 fundamental post-installation skill, so I think a review of the available tools for this is better than whining about "waaah, it didn't install foo for me."

Not having a VPN wizard is a legitimate gripe, this should be part of the standard networking clients set. Does gnome even have one?

A truly useful review would get past the freakin' installation. Don't these lamerz do anything else?

Breaking a short article into a zillion pages is evil.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!