Move to the head of the line

Story: Intel Releases Next Generation Open Source Graphics DriverTotal Replies: 13
Author Content
jimf

Aug 10, 2006
1:06 PM EDT
> [Let's hope that AMD now follows by open sourcing the ATI drivers - Sander]

Yeah, maybe, but in the mean time, I'm gonna recommend Intel motherboards and CPUs to Linux users. Intel has put it's money where it's mouth is. AMD/ATI is still just talking.
Sander_Marechal

Aug 10, 2006
1:41 PM EDT
Yup. The next PC I buy will have Intel inside :-)
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 10, 2006
4:49 PM EDT
As soon as they can make a chip that actually does what it says it can do, as in, is it a Core Duo or a Core 2 Duo? is it a Pentium-D or a Pentium-HD Hmmm, is it emulated or real or just a bunch of bull****. Its been a while since Intel has been able to make anything comparable to AMD in price, value or functionality. Only now are they even beginning to catch up.

At least AMD's chips can do what they say they can do, and have the controller built onto the core. That's why they blow Intel away in FSB speed. Now that they are providing chips for IBM I think that AMD is going to continue to ramp up the pressure on Intel.

Sorry, but I am not impressed by this very much. I am sure that AMD will open source the ATI drivers soon enough. Besides, I can still by an NVidia card and make this conversation mute anyway. NVidia is evil because they will never Open Source their drivers, right?
grouch

Aug 10, 2006
5:06 PM EDT
Evil involves the intent to do harm. I don't think nVidia is evil.

nVidia owns your computer when you use the closed drivers. I prefer to own my computer. I prefer not to undermine the efforts of kernel developers.
jimf

Aug 10, 2006
6:01 PM EDT
Scott, the latest Conroe gets very high marks.
dinotrac

Aug 10, 2006
6:33 PM EDT
>nVidia owns your computer when you use the closed drivers.

Garbage.

I own my computer and retain the right to decide if I will use nVidia's drivers or not.

Free drivers do exist for my graphics card if I am willing to give up performance.

I also retain the right to pull the card out and replace it with something else.

I get to make those choices, not nVidia.

grouch

Aug 10, 2006
7:00 PM EDT
>>nVidia owns your computer when you use the closed drivers.

dinotrac: >"Garbage."

dinotrac: >"I own my computer and retain the right to decide if I will use nVidia's drivers or not."

Reading comprehension skills are good. Take note of "when you use" in my statement. If you don't use them, nVidia can't own your computer. "[W]hen you use the closed drivers", nVidia can do whatever nVidia likes with your computer, just as the parking garage software owner and the medical software owner and Microsoft with their WGA, in recent news.
dinotrac

Aug 10, 2006
7:04 PM EDT
Grouch -

Sounds like must not drive your car, use a mobile phone, DVD player, television, or any number of things.
jimf

Aug 10, 2006
8:13 PM EDT
heh... reluctantly on all but the car :D
jimf

Aug 10, 2006
8:19 PM EDT
> Evil involves the intent to do harm. I don't think nVidia is evil.

Not evil, but, certainly making a very bad and unethical business decision. Also, doing no favors for their customers. Given any other choice, we should not support this. Given no other choice, we should fight it in any way possible.
grouch

Aug 10, 2006
8:49 PM EDT
dinotrac: >"Sounds like must not drive your car, use a mobile phone, DVD player, television, or any number of things."

My cars range from those which do not have firmware to those which have both the Bosh-patented electronic fuel injection and separate ECM. I can rebuild any of them. If I chose or needed to do so, I could reprogram the firmware in those which use computers, thanks only to hacker hotrodders who like to share information.

I do not use a mobile phone because I don't like telephones, but if I did, it would be one based on Linux.

My stand-alone DVD players were terrible purchases because they follow the manufacturers' orders in depriving me of the fair use right to time-shift some programs received via C-band satellite. My GNU/Linux-based PVR obeys my orders.

As for my television, the GPL works for me there, too, though I have yet to need to alter its firmware: http://products.sel.sony.com/opensource/source_tv.shtml#2004...
dinotrac

Aug 11, 2006
1:49 AM EDT
grouch -

Remember that bit a while back about intellectual dishonesty?

You tell me that nVidia owns my computer if I use their proprietary driver -- which truly is optional with nearly no effort whatsoever. In fact, at initial install I had no choice but to come up without it.

And yet, somehow, Bosch doesn't own your car with it's patented, decidedly non-GPL firmware?

And you are trying to pretend that you have the source code for any firmware in your television? OK...why don't you publish it for us. I'll bet some of us have the same set. We might even enjoy an opportunity to alter its operation.

grouch

Aug 11, 2006
7:04 AM EDT
dinotrac: >"Remember that bit a while back about intellectual dishonesty?"

Yes. It was hair-splitting of the most offensive kind.

>"You tell me that nVidia owns my computer if I use their proprietary driver -- which truly is optional with nearly no effort whatsoever. In fact, at initial install I had no choice but to come up without it."

You are trying to change my statement. When nVidia's driver is loaded, you cannot be certain what it is doing, which means you have ceded control of your computer to nVidia. If you do not use it, then you have not ceded that control. Twisting my words doesn't change that.

>"And yet, somehow, Bosch doesn't own your car with it's patented, decidedly non-GPL firmware?"

Apparently, you have no idea what is involved with that fuel injection system. The entire thing can be replaced with discrete electronics.

>"And you are trying to pretend that you have the source code for any firmware in your television? OK...why don't you publish it for us. I'll bet some of us have the same set. We might even enjoy an opportunity to alter its operation."

Maybe you should click the provided link.
dinotrac

Aug 11, 2006
7:54 AM EDT
grouch -

>Apparently, you have no idea what is involved with that fuel injection system. The entire thing can be replaced with discrete electronics.

Which matters for nought if you are going to be remotely consistent in your arguments.

The fuel injection you actually have in your car (presuming it's been made any time in the last 20 years) is electronic and controlled by software (or firmware if you wish to pick nits).

When you are driving that car, you are in the same position as I am when using my computer...except that I can flip out the nVidia driver without lifting so much as a screwdriver.

Beyond that... Yeah. I started shying away from engine work when fuel injection became the norm and points pertained to discussion instead of ignition.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!