Author Content
jimf

Aug 15, 2006
3:28 PM EDT
a day late and a dollar short?
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 15, 2006
4:44 PM EDT
Trying to stop the way a word is used is a futile effort. The only thing that stops a word from being used is if it is forgotten by the people who use it.

Even then a derivative of it usually lives on in the 'popular' vernacular anyway. We all say words that have not been used for their original meanings everyday. The English language is riddled with them. To begin to cite examples would take forever.
jdixon

Aug 15, 2006
4:45 PM EDT
> a day late and a dollar short?

At least. They can yell at publications all they want, but the can't affect what the average person says, and google as a verb is already in widespread use.
Fritz

Aug 15, 2006
5:34 PM EDT
The point isn't really to stop people from uusing the word google, but to show an attempt to. Legally, google has too attempt to protect their trademark or they risk using it. If they allow it to become a regular word without at least pretending to stop it, then they very well could lose their trademark.

-> Fritz
boborooster

Aug 15, 2006
5:35 PM EDT
le boborooster entree:

As per Scott_Ruecker, Can one think of challenging such words as they arrive in our dictionaries ? And then to even try patenting/licensing such words in the process of their appear as such ????????? Ah, but this cannot be... arrogance on the part of Google and plainly ABSURD !!!

c'est ca le boborooster
Scott_Ruecker

Aug 15, 2006
6:00 PM EDT
I don't know about all of you but if I lost my trademark to the Dictionary, I think that I would somehow comes to terms with it.

For me, being in the Dictionary is as Immortal as you can get. To become a word used in the most prolific language on the planet..yeah. I think I would be alright with that. Call me crazy, but that is one of the coolest things that could happen for a thing, be it an object, place or person.

Think of it, Did you use Scott to find it?" or "Dude, your gettin' a Scott!".

Immortality my friends, Immortality.

Yeah, I'm crazy alright
dcparris

Aug 15, 2006
6:55 PM EDT
Scott: > Yeah, I'm crazy alright

This is a *news* site. You're supposed to tell us stuff we don't already know. :-D
dthacker

Aug 15, 2006
7:54 PM EDT
Ok, I'll not only stop using "Google" as a verb. I'll xerox some copies of an aspirin label and recommend they take it for their headache....... Dave
dinotrac

Aug 16, 2006
2:29 AM EDT
I don't understand. I googled my baby pretty good last night, and she liked it!
SFN

Aug 16, 2006
5:00 AM EDT
Perhaps rather than stop saying "googling" we should stop googling. That would, over time, create a situation where nobody has any reason to use google as a verb.
salparadise

Aug 16, 2006
5:37 AM EDT
Quoting:Perhaps rather than stop saying "googling" we should stop googling. That would, over time, create a situation where nobody has any reason to use google as a verb.

Sounds good to me.

Is this a foretaste of things to come, when children log on to google-school, we all log on to google-net and we all have our money looked after in the google-bank and no one's allowed to do or say anything that's not in the book of google-etiquette?

I don't want to be a Gcitizen!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!