FerriCyde chat indeed

Story: Top 10 Things You Could Be Doing Instead of Attending Ohio Linux FestTotal Replies: 58
Author Content
Syscrusher

Sep 06, 2006
10:51 AM EDT
FerriCyde, FerriCyde, FerriCyde, *if* that is your real name,

You post-conventional midwestern white-bread Torvalds apologists are all alike. There you sit in some dirt-floor shack in the middle of a definite flyover state -- I mean, who names their state after a Japanese greeting, anyway? -- and milk your cows by the light of your green-phosphor monitors. Oh, yeah, I'm sure you've upgraded from your monochrome graphics adapter to that ultra-hip new Hercules card in your XT. w00t 4 U!

You talk like some kind of Birkenstock-wearing left-coast dot-com refugee, or maybe you think you are a Keanu Reeves lookalike from the right coast. Or maybe you think you're the President, with that FDR allusion. Doesn't matter. I know your type. You undoubtedly live in some dinky little bedroom community of a medium-sized town an hour or two from a couple of so-called cities that barely even show up on a map.

So you can name off a few distros of Linux. Oooooh, I'm *so* impressed. It's not as if you ever proved to us that you know how to *run* them. Have you ever actually booted up a copy of that crap? Ever actually write any code in C or PHP or any of those other commie-pinko open source languages? Well, if you had, you would know that it sucks, sucks, SUCKS. Or, in your wannabee-h4XX0r33z (and that is *so* dated now), you might say "17 5uX!"

We all know the One True Operating System that is going to rule, now and forever, and you might as well give up on your little proto-entrepreneurial fantasy. Torvalds has delusions of mediocrity. What kind of lamer names his o.s. after himself? Puh-leez! Nobody will ever take Linux seriously. All the smart money is on the big player, and if the 800 pound gorilla wants you dead, you're dead. I'll bet Bill decides to kill you and your buddy Torvalds personally, with his own hands, by using a WINCE-powered crane to drop some dinosaur of an IBM mainframe right on top of your pointy little head.

If you survive, maybe IBM will give you that old clunker as a keepsake, and you can run your precious Linux on it.
dinotrac

Sep 06, 2006
11:09 AM EDT
Syscrusher -

Sadly, your information is out of date. Seems that the crane's software was licensed by the same company that shut down Hoboken, NJ's robot parking garage during license negotiations.

Gates did have one of his best Windows gurus crack the crane's system, but it appears that a service pack is required. Immediately after booting up over on Microsoft's Redmond campus in a practice run prior it's Ohio trip, the crane immediately hoisted the ancient 3084 into the air and made for the nearest Seattle's Best coffee shop. Once their, it began swinging the ancient iron wildly and cackling and making a sound from it's exhaust stack that sounds amazingly like "half-caff-skim, half-caff-skim". Business at the nearby Starbucks is reported to be up.
jimf

Sep 06, 2006
11:40 AM EDT
Neither Seattle's Best, nor Starbucks are gonna sell either of you any more espresso. You're both way over your legal quota...

dinotrac

Sep 06, 2006
12:15 PM EDT
jimf -

Sorry, pal, but my hemoglobin has given way to coffee grounds. Cut me off and I die.
tuxchick2

Sep 06, 2006
12:21 PM EDT
See, this is all the fault of those bleeding-heart hippie liberal twits who "mainstreamed" all the safely institutionalized wackos in the 70s, closed down the hospitals, and flung them on the mercy of the "community", which fled shrieking in terror as they came shambling down the street in their hospital greens.
jimf

Sep 06, 2006
12:45 PM EDT
> Cut me off and I die.

I hear you dino (/me walks over to fire up the stovetop espresso pot) :D

Ah... tuxchick, I think those really are zombies ;-)
techiem2

Sep 06, 2006
12:49 PM EDT
> Ah... tuxchick, I think those really are zombies ;-)

Yeah, the wackos are wearing the nice white straight-jackets. :)

Same effect on the populace though....
jimf

Sep 06, 2006
12:53 PM EDT
> wackos are wearing the nice white straight-jackets.

No, those guys are now high ranking political officials.
PaulFerris

Sep 07, 2006
1:18 AM EDT
Dino: >Once their, it began swinging the ancient iron wildly and cackling and making a sound from it's exhaust stack that sounds amazingly like "half-caff-skim

It's "there", not "their", twit. Try and get it write next time.

Tuxxy: >See, this is all the fault of those bleeding-heart hippie >liberal twits who "mainstreamed" all the safely >institutionalized wackos in the 70s, closed down the >hospitals, and flung them on the mercy of the >"community", which fled shrieking in terror as they came >shambling down the street in their hospital greens.

My mommy was a social worker during that time, and I can attest that yes indeed this happened. It never occured to me that Dino and Scott (aka SkyCrusher -- that is his real name and there's far more inside information in that post than I'd like to admit to ;) were part of that flood.

As they say, "This explains everything!"

-=FeriSide=-
dinotrac

Sep 07, 2006
3:25 AM EDT
Everyone -

I am not crazy. Those little men are real. They congregate at Starbucks. I buy them coffee. I have to. If I don't, they'll kill my big yellow llama. And my mother.
Syscrusher

Sep 07, 2006
7:18 AM EDT
Tuxchick2: >See, this is all the fault of those bleeding-heart hippie >liberal twits who "mainstreamed" all the safely >institutionalized wackos in the 70s, closed down the >hospitals, and flung them on the mercy of the >"community", which fled shrieking in terror as they came >shambling down the street in their hospital greens.

Nah...I'm too young for that. In my case, it's the fault of those neofascist Reaganite conservative twits in the 80s who privatized all the state-funded mental hospitals that were safely containing the wackos left over from the 70s, and flung them on the mercy of the "faith-based community", which fled shrieking in terror as they came shambling down the street in their hospital greens.

See, it's like this: Under the Republicans, people exploit people. Under the Democrats, it's just the opposite. {GRIN}

Syscrusher

P.S. -- Hey, Dino...That old 3084 mainframe will suck as a Linux box. Let's give this Fericyde clown a z800. I'm feeling merciful.
number6x

Sep 07, 2006
7:26 AM EDT
dino,

stop by the Starbucks in Logan Square. They just went union. I'll have some of the teamsters take care of the little men for you.

You'll have to pay union rates though, and sign a one year contract.
dinotrac

Sep 07, 2006
8:13 AM EDT
6x -

Let me see...

That would be the blue line...I think...

Wait!!!

That goes out to O'Hare...

O'Hare -- sounds a bit like Llama hair...

Blue line + yellow llama = green animal.

I can't there. I can't. Just can't. Maybe I could send the little men...

There are so many of them. Crap...What's a CTA token up to now?

number6x

Sep 07, 2006
10:13 AM EDT
2 bucks each, unles they are under 5.

If they're small they can just duck under the turnstyle.

Do they drink expresso, or those foo-foo coffees with caramel and mocha and all that stuff?

This could cost
dinotrac

Sep 07, 2006
11:41 AM EDT
6x -

The don't touch nuthin' that don't end with "iatto"
jimf

Sep 07, 2006
11:52 AM EDT
> those foo-foo coffees with caramel and mocha and all that stuff

Stop slandering 'coffee' please. I particularly love going the store mill and finding that some ass has just run an abomination of amaretto flavored crap through it... Now, there should be a law about that one. Penalties involving electrocution, or, better yet the garrote would be appropriate.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 07, 2006
12:18 PM EDT
Jim, you gotta let it go man, let it go..

Put the coffee down, step away from the grinder and no one will get hurt.

;-)
jimf

Sep 07, 2006
12:23 PM EDT
Scott,

I see you've never had the 'pleasure' of tasting the amaretto abomination :(
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 07, 2006
12:37 PM EDT
Oh I have and it is some nasty Sh**, just like the hazelnut and all the other "flavored"..stuff that calls itself coffee.

Your talking a guy that has his own grinder and takes extreme amounts of pleasure in making multiple pots to not share with others and drink like a glutton.

I Love My Coffee, its MINE ALL MINE I TELL YA!!!
jimf

Sep 07, 2006
12:46 PM EDT
> Oh I have and it is some nasty Sh**, just like the hazelnut and all the other "flavored"..stuff that calls itself coffee.

I know it's unfair, but I'm always suspect of the character of people who actually drink that stuff ;-)...
tuxchick2

Sep 07, 2006
12:48 PM EDT
You guys don't know what a good time is. I love going to a city with six Starbucks on every block (Starbucks is awful. Crap-quality coffee and nasty fake drinks just for the SuperSize generation), asking the tattooed nose-pierced multi-hair-color twink at the counter what's good today, and getting told "I don't know, like I don't drink coffee. It's bad for you." Restores my belief in personal curmudgeonliness every time.
jimf

Sep 07, 2006
12:52 PM EDT
> Restores my belief in personal curmudgeonliness every time.

Like you really weren't sure of that all the time?

/jimf passes tuxchick a steaming cup of (real) espresso :)
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 07, 2006
12:52 PM EDT
Never trust someone who gets paid to make coffee..

Only someone who loves to make it can be trusted to give a quality opinion on what is good coffee to drink.

Besides, good coffee makes your kids be born naked.

That's an old joke of my Grandpa's, works for anything. Coffee, Fried Chicken, Football...
dinotrac

Sep 07, 2006
1:17 PM EDT
tc -

NNNNOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Starbucks is fine, although it can vary with the barristas, the espresso machine, and general level of care.

Spend some time in Massachusetts where find coffee = Dunkin' Donuts and you will come to appreciate the mermaid.

jimf

Sep 07, 2006
1:19 PM EDT
Spend some time in Massachusetts where find coffee = Dunkin' Donuts and you will come to appreciate the mermaid.

Heck, you might even get to like green tea :D
tuxchick2

Sep 07, 2006
2:25 PM EDT
Poor dino. Give peets.com a try. Now that is superior coffee.

There's an interesting story there. The original founders of Starbucks were bulldozed by the horrid Howard Schultz into letting him join the company. In the beginning they were a little coffee shop by the Pike market, selling good beans. They had no Microsoft-sized ambitions. They just wanted to sell good coffee. But Schultz had bigger ideas. He took their nice little coffee shop and transformed it into the worldwide McCrappee empire that we know and abhor today.

Meanwhile, the former founders packed their bags and left to San Francisco to run Peet's, where quality and customer service are more important than paving the planet with pooey coffee shops. The one good idea schultz had was serving drinks in addition to beans. It's too bad he abandoned quality along the way. http://www.mhhe.com/business/management/thompson/11e/case/st...
dinotrac

Sep 07, 2006
6:36 PM EDT
tc -

I can't walk down to Peet's, order an Americanp, and sit outside on the sidewalk as the sun comes up over downtown Geneva.

I can do that at Starbucks. If Peet's will open up out here in fly-over country, I will very happily give them a try.

As it is, I also give some coffee business to Ragamuffin's, a coffee house on the Fox river in St. Charles, and Graham's, a coffee-shop and gelato appendage to a very well-loved Geneva candy store.

But when I'm doing the 5:00 am walk, it's Starbucks or bust. And, quite frankly, I like them just fine. Must be the white trash taste buds at work.
jimf

Sep 07, 2006
8:11 PM EDT
dino,

From my experience, Starbucks has very poor quality control. Some in the Chicago area are just fine, and others really suck. The one we have here in Kenosha is not good at all, and it would appear to depend a lot on the people working there. The only thing you can be absolutely sure of is that you will be overcharged for the product.
tuxchick2

Sep 07, 2006
8:44 PM EDT
dino, I'm sure your taste buds are just fine. Some of us are simply more... hmmm, not finicky, not stuck-up, not pointlessly picky... I have it! Evolved.
dinotrac

Sep 08, 2006
3:24 AM EDT
jimf -

My experience is the same. Even here in the tri-cities (Batavia-St Charles-Geneva for non-locals) the variation is noticeable. The Geneva Starbucks is decidedly best. Too bad in some ways, because it doesn't have the biggest seating area, but, c'est la vie.

tc -

Hmmmmmmm..........So, got that picky coffee gene, eh?
number6x

Sep 08, 2006
5:43 AM EDT
I like my coffee like my women.

(wait for it....)

Bitter.
tuxchick2

Sep 08, 2006
7:14 AM EDT
Dino, I'm starting to get the impression that you don't carefully mince your coffee beans with a special knife to the exactly correct grind before brewing. Oh well, no one's perfect.
jimf

Sep 08, 2006
8:17 AM EDT
Humm... had too much 'bitter' ;-)

Half each espresso and french roast, espresso grind, stovetop espresso maker = perfection. Yes, I have the $$$ espresso maker packed away in the closet. It's just not the same.

Now women are another matter entirely :D
dinotrac

Sep 08, 2006
9:14 AM EDT
tc --

You got me. I carelessly rely on a grinder to do that. Everybody knows the mincing knife is better, but I'm a lazy old man.
tuxchick2

Sep 08, 2006
10:48 AM EDT
Q: Why are women bitter? A: If you have to ask, well then I just won't tell you
dinotrac

Sep 08, 2006
11:18 AM EDT
tc:

I think it was just a typo on 6x's part.

He meant women are better, as in better than men.

Ask one...they'll tell you. Anything else, it's "If you have to ask", but not that one.

number6x

Sep 08, 2006
2:42 PM EDT
tuxchick,

I didn't say that all women are bitter. I just like my women the same way I like my coffee.

Bitter.

Rent airplane and watch the kids.

:)

Bitter or sweet, Women are always the better half of the race. This is a fundamental law of nature, enforced via frying pan.
tuxchick2

Sep 08, 2006
3:58 PM EDT
Mmnaaa, I don't believe that women are better than men. That's a litte too convenient- "we do these dopey things because we are not as good as you!" Feh.

Just a little different, and as a group sorely in need of more backbone.
dcparris

Sep 08, 2006
5:40 PM EDT
I like my women like my espresso - strong, with lots o' character. ;-)

As for fine coffee, I personally make some of the best there is. Not that I'm biased or anything. ;-) I've been making coffee over the past 12 years where I work (full-time), and everyone prefers my special touch over the same coffee brewed throughout the day. Sorry, but the secret is classified. I could tell ya, but then I would have to, well, you know...

Around Charlotte, Caribou beats Starbucks any day. Jimf, I'm glad to know you can appreciate a nice espresso. See, I knew I was in good company around here! If you ever decide to donate your $$$ espresso maker, I know a deserving candidate. ;-) Or the source code for the stovetop edition might work just as well.

I still say some of the best espresso can be had in Palermo Sicily! Unfortunately, getting to Sicily from Charlotte takes a little too much time & money for me to do that regularly.
dinotrac

Sep 09, 2006
8:11 AM EDT
For Chicago area folks --

This morning, after a nice bike ride down to Batavia and back, we trundled out to West Chicago to the first-ever Papanicholas coffee shop, connected to Pal Joey's.

For those outside the area, PapaNick is a family owned and run business that roasts it's coffee in Batavia, IL, the southern anchor of Tri-Cities here along the Fox river.

Good stuff to pick up for home, and, as it turns out...good to get at the coffee shop.

Starbucks still wins on "we can walk to it and sit outside to drink", however.
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 09, 2006
8:52 AM EDT
I love Saturdays..one pot in and another on the way..ITS MINE, ALL MINE!

AAAHHHHH!!!!! (running off into the distance)
jdixon

Sep 10, 2006
6:50 AM EDT
Sigh, there's just no place for a tea drinker on this forum.... Slinking off in disgrace....
dinotrac

Sep 10, 2006
7:27 AM EDT
jdixon -

Don't worry, we won't think any less of you for drinking tea.

Oh --- Who am I kidding?

Of course we will!
dek

Sep 10, 2006
10:31 AM EDT
Jdixon -

Hold your head up high, man! Don't listen to dino. He's so drugged up with Caffeine it isn't funny! There's NOTHING wrong with a nice pot o' tea. I like mine sweetened with a little Honey. Just so you know, I also like coffee, beer and (cheap) wine. There's no reason to discriminate based on drink preference . . . .

(Desktop environments, now there's a reason to discriminate!! :-D )
jimf

Sep 10, 2006
12:34 PM EDT
Tea's ok, a well brewed beer is fine, as is ('good') wine, but, really good coffee is a passion. Few things in life are as satisfying... Well, there are a few, but they aren't in beverage form :D

As for all the (green) tea drinkers who, ad nauseam, told us how bad coffee is for a persons health, we now find that coffee has the same antioxidant effects and that espresso, in particular, has few harmful oils and less caffeine.... So there :P
dcparris

Sep 10, 2006
4:02 PM EDT
I learned to drink tea like the English when I was stationed in Cornwall. I guess, since I grew up drinking hot tea in the winter in West Virginia, adding a spot of milk to it wasn't that much of a stretch. I still do that occasionally.

dek, just don't tell me you drink Boone Farm.
dek

Sep 10, 2006
6:16 PM EDT
dcp: just don't tell me you drink Boone Farm.

Well. I used to!!

I like to make my Own Wine coolers and Boone's Farm doesn't work well for that. But just about any other cheap wine will.

Have we gotten off topic sufficiently?? ;-)
jdixon

Sep 10, 2006
7:36 PM EDT
> He's so drugged up with Caffeine it isn't funny! There's NOTHING wrong with a nice pot o' tea.

Well, my tea has more caffeine than most people's coffee, so I can't point fingers at someone who likes caffeine.

> As for all the (green) tea drinkers...

Green tea? Blech. While I'm hardly a tea expert, I've found that Lipton, Red Rose, Salada, and Luzianne all make a cup of tea that I can drink. I generally prefer Lipton. I find Tetley and some other brands undrinkable.
dcparris

Sep 10, 2006
8:13 PM EDT
> I like to make my Own Wine coolers and Boone's Farm doesn't work well for that. But just about any other cheap wine will.

Whew! Your past we can safely overlook. It's the present we're concerned about. :-)

> Have we gotten off topic sufficiently?? ;-)

Well, I think we still need to hang a left at Albuquerque and go about 400 miles. Besides, Cafeine is the name of a FOSS app - and we're talking about it, so we must still be kind of close to the topic.

As they say in Japan (according to the OP), "Ohio!" :-D
PaulFerris

Sep 11, 2006
5:14 AM EDT
Dc: Great job circling back! I'm just now getting caught up on this thread.

Boone's Farm?!? That's what I was drinking when I wrote this article!
dcparris

Sep 11, 2006
5:53 AM EDT
Groooaaann! Poor Paul. Guys, can we take up a collection for the poor fella? Maybe we can help get enough to buy some Paul Mason.
dinotrac

Sep 11, 2006
7:19 AM EDT
dc -

Or at least some Mad Dog 20-20.
dcparris

Sep 11, 2006
8:17 AM EDT
Oh no! And to think I pegged you for a Night Train kind of guy!
dinotrac

Sep 11, 2006
8:37 AM EDT
dc -

It's all in the past, Rev, I swear!
dcparris

Sep 11, 2006
10:05 AM EDT
The past what? 10 minutes?
dinotrac

Sep 11, 2006
10:23 AM EDT
>The past what? 10 minutes?

I ... can't ... remember.
dcparris

Sep 11, 2006
10:32 AM EDT
Can't remember what? What are you talking about?
jimf

Sep 11, 2006
11:06 AM EDT
Have a cup of coffee Don, that will perk up your memory :D...
PaulFerris

Sep 11, 2006
12:49 PM EDT
Mad Dog 20-20! Yeah, that's the stuff!

All this talk of alcohol is making me thirsty. I think I'll go find a starbucks somewhere.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!