Author Content
alc

Sep 09, 2006
1:31 AM EDT
A very good read.
Bob_Robertson

Sep 09, 2006
9:25 AM EDT
But the article he cites is also very, very up-beat about Microsoft's change of habit.
jimf

Sep 09, 2006
10:51 AM EDT
I just love all of these profound proclamations. None of this really means diddly... Every technical person in the world knows that MS products are buggy, and bloated, and insecure.

Bill's & the MS genius is in 'marketing'. Convincing the world and it's users that MS is the one true choice by any means necessary. Essentially, that shit is gold. Crazy? Well, look at the MS 'Empire' and tell me it hasn't worked, and, continues to work.

Just because we know that MS deserves to be put out of its misery has nothing to do with how the general public, or business, or the world for that matter responds to the MS machine's machinations. If this is the MS death march, it will likely be a long and profitable one.
tuxchick2

Sep 09, 2006
10:58 AM EDT
I know I'm not the first person to use the analogy of Lucy holding the football for Charlie Brown. Time after time after time, Microsoft makes grand promises that it never keeps. But people keep buying it.
jimf

Sep 09, 2006
11:10 AM EDT
> But people keep buying it.

It's the old 'some of the people all of the time' tuxchick. The scary thing is that amounts to an awful lot of people.
jezuch

Sep 10, 2006
5:08 AM EDT
For me the biggest achievement of Microsoft is convincing people that "computer == Windows". Right now it's modified a bit to include "sure, there are other operating systems, but you have to be a computer genius to use them", but it's just a detail. People seem to think "oh, if such a great company like Microsoft can't make Windows less buggy, insecure and bloated then how buggy, insecure and bloated the others must be!"

I'm all for a programme of fighting computer illiteracy.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!