A reality check for Vista

Story: Hasta la Vista, part 1: Microsofts final death marchTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
henke54

Sep 09, 2006
9:09 AM EDT
Quoting:A day late and a dollar short, the software giant's new Vista operating system won't have anyone standing on line to buy the first copy. ...................... So here's a modest proposal: Boycott Vista. Keep your old Windows XP PC around. Don't buy a new one. That's the only way we have to let Microsoft know Vista is an overhyped, late, and pointless update to XP - a perfectly fine operating system.
http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/07/technology/Reality_check_Vis...
henke54

Sep 09, 2006
9:25 AM EDT
Quoting:Virtualisation is the Next Big Thing in computing, and the lesson of Vista is that Microsoft will have to embrace it to survive in the operating system market. The trouble (for Microsoft) is that the leader in the technology is Xensource, a spin-out from Cambridge University's Computer Laboratory. And here's where the delicious ironies begin.

For not only is the lab housed in the William Gates Building (in recognition of a donation by the Microsoft boss), but Xen's core technology is - wait for it! - open source, which in Redmond is still viewed as the spawn of the communist devil. In due course, an accommodation will be reached - and Xensource will go through the roof. If you were thinking of investing, however, I'm afraid you've missed the boat. John Doerr, the world's greatest venture capitalist (Sun Microsystems, Compaq, Lotus, Intuit, Genentech, Millennium, Netscape, Amazon and Google, inter alia), got there before you. In this business, you have to get up early if you want to get into bed.
http://www.hindu.com/thehindu/holnus/008200609091840.htm
jdixon

Sep 10, 2006
6:54 AM EDT
> Vista is an overhyped, late, and pointless update to XP - a perfectly fine operating system.

If you can stand product activation that is. Personally I stick to Windows 2000 as the last version of Windows to use.

> The trouble (for Microsoft) is that the leader in the technology is Xensource

The leader in virtualization is VMWare, not Xensource. Xensource only wishes they were the leader.
nalf38

Sep 12, 2006
2:27 PM EDT
My guess is that the first OS to support virtualization out of the box with the home user in mind is going to leap ahead of the others, whether they're proprietary or not. The last time I used Xen it wasn't all that easy to get up and running.

I don't understand why MS didn't integrate virtualization into Vista and tout it as a key feature. It sure as hell would have solved their backwards-compatibility problems that have plagued them for years. They didn't think far enough ahead.

If Apple can put out Rosetta to run PPC binaries on OSX-Intel, MS could surely have created a protected virtual environment where Win2k/XP programs could run without modification on Vista.

And it's not like MS is a stranger to the concept. You can run old Intel Xbox games on the PPC Xbox360. Seems like MS drops the ball at every turn.

jimf

Sep 12, 2006
2:58 PM EDT
> Personally I stick to Windows 2000 as the last version of Windows to use.

I'd say that was the last version of Windows to have any validity as a working OS. Anything after that has real problems, and the people testing the latest prerelease seem to think Vista has even more problems. I'll take their word for it.

dcparris

Sep 12, 2006
4:19 PM EDT
I keep reading about this "Vista" thing. Is that an upgrade for Notepad?
jimf

Sep 12, 2006
4:22 PM EDT
ROFL... Good one Don.
jdixon

Sep 12, 2006
6:25 PM EDT
> My guess is that the first OS to support virtualization out of the box with the home user in mind is going to leap ahead of the others, whether they're proprietary or not.

Well, with both VMWare Player and VMWare Server available free of charge, there's no reason for one of the commercial Linux's not to offer it. There's no reason for Microsoft not too either, but I suspect Microsoft is a bit leery of crossing swords with EMC, and a crossing of swords is the inevitable result of a partnership with Microsoft.
dinotrac

Sep 12, 2006
6:59 PM EDT
>I keep reading about this "Vista" thing. Is that an upgrade for Notepad?

As I remember, Vista was a big ugly Oldsmobile so heavy that the humongoloid V-8 under the hood still wasn't enough to make it dance.

Wait...it all makes sense now.
jezuch

Sep 13, 2006
2:51 AM EDT
Vista also means "chicken" in Lithuanian... Or so I read somewhere :)
cjcox

Sep 13, 2006
7:48 PM EDT
This is going to be a great death march! Probably as good as the XP death march. Now that Microsoft is going to release new updates and versions faster... we'll have more frequent death marches.

Death march rulez

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!