Welcome Aboard Bob!

Story: Bob Whitinger takes ownership of LXerTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
dcparris

Sep 28, 2006
10:32 AM EDT
I would like to take a moment to welcome Bob to LXer. I am enthusiastic about Bob's talents and experience. Having talked with him about the direction of LXer, I am confident that he is capable of moving LXer forward. I have personally spoken with both Dave and Bob, and I certainly respect Dave's decision, and look forward to the possibility that we might see more of him around here now.

Bob did indeed implement the new theme for LXer, and is busy working on some of our other pending tasks. I look forward to working with Bob and getting to know him better. I believe our editors and readers alike have every reason to be as enthusiastic as I am about Bob taking the helm.

Dave, enjoy playing with Dave's Garden. Bob, I have already enjoyed working with you so far, and look forward to developing a great working relationship.

Regards, Don
SFN

Sep 28, 2006
10:39 AM EDT
Hi Bob. Weclome

[whisper] Run fast and run far [/whisper]
bob

Sep 28, 2006
10:40 AM EDT
I've been watching with pride as LXer was launched and then, thanks to Dave, Don, and all of you, has reached the point it is today... one of the widest read Linux community sites online. I'm excited about what has already been accomplished, and I'm equally excited about the potential for the future of the LXer community.

I believe that the FOSS movement is the most important thing that's happening in software today. We are making the world a better place, shaping a world where people can choose to be free from the control of the proprietary software monopolies.

Imagine a world free from software barriers, free from hidden interfaces, a world where developers have a way to combine their efforts to achieve ever greater innovations.

Well, we don't have to just imagine, because this world is a reality today. Our greatest task is to communicate this vision to the wider population.

Hey, I'll be at the Ohio LinuxFest this weekend. I hope to meet many of you in person. Just look for the tall guy wearing the cowboy hat.

We have a great community here at LXer, and I'm looking forward to seeing the future unfold.

Let's have a lot of fun...

Bob Whitinger LXer, Publisher
dthacker

Sep 28, 2006
11:15 AM EDT
Thanks, Dave! Welcome, Bob! I love it when a plan comes together....... Dave
cheshire137

Sep 28, 2006
11:23 AM EDT
Sad to see you go, Dave, but I know my mother won't be: she loves Dave's Garden. :)

You know Bob's gonna be great because of his opinions on FOSS, experience with programming, ability to release new layouts quickly, and also because he's a Ruby enthusiast! Can't go wrong with those Ruby enthusiasts. ;)
dave

Sep 28, 2006
11:36 AM EDT
Looks like positive thoughts here, which makes me happy. I really am glad that this worked out as well as it did - I should have done this a long time ago. I'll still be hanging around, but just not in the official non^H^H^Hcapacity as before.

:)

dave
gewb

Sep 28, 2006
11:48 AM EDT
Welcome to Bob (our new overlord)! ...or is that "The king is dead, long live the king!"?

(NO NEED TO FLAME - I just have a strange sense of humor.)

I'm pleased as punch to have someone closer to my age taking on this great site.

Dave, you "done good" and we're proud of ya!
dominic

Sep 28, 2006
12:04 PM EDT
Hi Bob, welcome! Good job on deploying the new site layout!

Cheers
jdixon

Sep 28, 2006
12:29 PM EDT
Welcome aboard Bob. I hope you like the new job as captain of this ship and somewhat motley crew. I'm sorry to see Dave go, due to his proven track record at both Linux Today and LXer, but it's good to see the site stay in the family.
bob

Sep 28, 2006
1:15 PM EDT
I'd like to thank everyone for their comments and for the nice welcome.

Especially gewb, what a wonderful understated sense of humor. You must be British? :)
Sander_Marechal

Sep 28, 2006
2:02 PM EDT
Hi Bob, congratulations on the new job :-)

So.... this is a reverse inheritance thingy, with grandfather Whitinger taking over from you in a couple of years? ;-)
jimf

Sep 28, 2006
2:53 PM EDT
Hi Bob, and Congrats!

In your first week, All three rings have been up and active, and, you got to see new canvas raised too. If you haven't run off screaming by now, you are definitely the guy for the job :)

> I'm pleased as punch to have someone closer to my age taking on this great site.

I'll second that. Maturity (hehe, usually) brings perspective :D
hughesjr

Sep 29, 2006
3:36 AM EDT
LXer is a daily (usually several times daily) read for me ... I think it is the premire Linux news site on the planet.

Thanks to Dave and welcome to Bob ...

So now LXer is going to get even better .... WOW :)

Good Luck from the CentOS Project ...

Thanks, Johnny Hughes
ABCC

Sep 29, 2006
4:20 AM EDT
"The king is dead, long live the king!"

Shouldn't that be "The king is dead, long live the patriarch!"?

dinotrac

Sep 29, 2006
6:15 AM EDT
The King is dead?

Don't tell Dave -- he'll freak!!

How about "The king is tending his trees, long live king da papa?"
gewb

Sep 29, 2006
7:19 AM EDT
Hello Bob -

You asked: "Especially gewb, what a wonderful understated sense of humor. You must be British? :)"

No, I live in Colorado but I enjoy twisted humor. 8^)

Regards, gewb

"Wearing the Tux since Feb. 1999"
Bob_Robertson

Sep 29, 2006
10:09 AM EDT
Good afternoon, Bob.

ABCC, I prefer "The King is dead."

but then, I've come to the conclusion that I'm an anarchist. :^)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!