LXer At Ohio LinuxFest

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 25
Author Content
dcparris

Sep 28, 2006
4:20 PM EDT
Bob, our new publisher, mentioned in a previous thread that he will be at the Ohio LinuxFest, wearing his cowboy hat. I'll be accompanying him on the excursion, and will be most recognizable by my black fedora.

I can't speak for Bob, but I definitely plan to stop by The Linux Link Tech Show booth, and meet Linc Fessenden, a long-time friend via the Internet. I also hope to run into Paul Ferris while I'm there. I'm wondering if I'll be able to squeeze my head through the door when I get back home after hanging out with all these celebrities all day. ;-)

We're both looking forward to seeing some LXer readers up in Ohio!
dinotrac

Sep 28, 2006
4:26 PM EDT
Hey Rev...

Give Paul a pinch on the cheek for me. I haven't been able to make it out his way in a while and my pinchers are feeling deprived.
dcparris

Sep 28, 2006
4:48 PM EDT
Dino, that's fine. I assume you mean the cheeck connected to his face? Cause if it's another cheek, you can just forget it. :-D
dinotrac

Sep 28, 2006
5:06 PM EDT
Rev -

You got that right!! We don't take "turn the other cheek" quite that far in these parts!!

!uu!
jdixon

Sep 28, 2006
6:02 PM EDT
DC:

Please say hi to Paul for me too. I've never met him in person, and I don't know him as well as Dino does, but I've appreciated his work for a long time. I was somewhat tempted to try to make it out, but there's simply too much going on right now for me to schedule it.
dcparris

Sep 28, 2006
6:06 PM EDT
I'll do it - even pinching him on the cheek!
dinotrac

Sep 28, 2006
6:06 PM EDT
Rev -

And while you're at it, ask him about the sadly gone and lamented Times Square microbrewery that was nearly an official BOF spot at LinuxWorlds when they were held at the Javits Center in New York. Maybe even move along to pontoon boats on the lake.

Then tall him there's nothing quite as fine as a ride in a hot mustang...
dcparris

Sep 28, 2006
6:56 PM EDT
How about I just point him to this thread? ;-)
dinotrac

Sep 28, 2006
6:57 PM EDT
Rev -

You should still mention the mustang. You might just get a ride.
dcparris

Sep 28, 2006
7:06 PM EDT
Well there's a thought! :-)
Scott_Ruecker

Sep 28, 2006
7:13 PM EDT
Bob and Don,

Please say "Hello" to the guys at The Linux Link Tech Show for me, Pat asked me if I was going to be able to make it to the Ohio show I and I told him I could not. I have been wanting to meet them for a while.

I hope you have a great time, TAKE A CAMERA!!

dcparris

Sep 28, 2006
7:18 PM EDT
Oh, we're definitely taking cameras!
jimf

Sep 28, 2006
7:43 PM EDT
> Oh, we're definitely taking cameras!

At least the weather will be cool enough so you won't be wearing shorts :D
bob

Sep 28, 2006
8:25 PM EDT
hmmm.... when they look at the pictures I wonder if anyone will read any significance into the one black hat and the one white hat. hmmm...
dcparris

Sep 28, 2006
10:01 PM EDT
jimf, you're jealous! Don't worry. I'm sure you're legs are just fine. :-D

Bob, I'm sure someone will bring it up...
jimf

Sep 28, 2006
10:15 PM EDT
> I'm sure you're legs are just fine.

Of course Don, yours too, but I just can't let you live that one picture down ;-)

Honestly, I think we should all leave shorts to the women :D
dcparris

Sep 28, 2006
10:54 PM EDT
> Of course Don, yours too, but I just can't let you live that one picture down ;-)

Well, I admit, I was trying to let my legs get some exposure to the sun. I tend to tan from about the waist up, but my legs were starting to look more like Dracula's. ;-) I've been wearing shorts all summer long. Of course, that might help explain why my wife is a little more relaxed these days, what with all the women running the other way and all...
jimf

Sep 28, 2006
11:07 PM EDT
> what with all the women running the other way and all...

Season's already over up here. I don't think it cleared 60F here today and it downright cold out there tonight. they're bundled from toe to neck :(
pat

Sep 30, 2006
1:56 PM EDT
It was nice to meet you Don!

-Pat from the freegeek columbus booth.
dcparris

Oct 01, 2006
9:30 AM EDT
It was good to meet you, too, Pat! I had a great time up there yesterday!
hackmeister

Oct 02, 2006
5:38 AM EDT
Don, It was a pleasure meeting you and Bob in person. We had a great time at OLF and will hopefully make it back next year. It was a great community driven event that I highly recommend to all.

Pat from TLLTS
dcparris

Oct 02, 2006
6:52 AM EDT
Pat, it was good to meet you, too. I have known Linc through the Linux4Christians e-mail list, but have never had the chance to meet him in person. This gave me a chance to meet the whole TTLS crew and get to know y'all a little better. I definitely enjoyed myself up there. Bob and I talked about maybe setting up a table next year. We'll see.
Richard

Oct 02, 2006
3:59 PM EDT
Tell me about the Mooney.
dcparris

Oct 02, 2006
4:43 PM EDT
Oh, the Mooney was... exhilarating! It was a 1962 M20C. Bob has it outfitted with a nice, modern Garmin navigation system. If you're not familiar with that model, the cockpit is a bit tight, although plenty of room for the legs. Bob gave me the standard tour of the flight controls, and even let me have the plane for a few minutes, once we got up in the air. The controls are definitely, um, responsive. Yeah, that's the word I would use. If you nudge the controls, the plane starts moving the way you nudged them.

The flight up was mostly smooth, and we were flying at between 6-8k feet, depending on the terrain below. The flight back was kind of stormy, actually. In a 747 I would have been much more comfortable than I was in that little 4-seater. ;-) Bob kept me engaged with tracking the storm on the garmin, which he used to navigate around the rougher spots. I'm glad we avoided the rough spots - I think the plane would have smelled kind of funny if we hadn't.

All in all though, it was a great flight, with awesome scenery, and I would love to do it again sometime. :-)
dinotrac

Oct 02, 2006
4:50 PM EDT
Rev -

Sounds awesome.

Of course, I've graduated from salivating about a Mooney I can't afford to salivating about an Eclipse 500 that I can afford even less, or, when I really want to hallucinate, a Swearingen SJ30-2.

Sounds like you had a ton of fun.
dcparris

Oct 02, 2006
9:58 PM EDT
Yeah, I think I can understand that. Heck, just a modern Mooney would be pretty cool! I gotta admit though - that SJ would sure cut down the flight time to Columbus! :-) We would have to hit the brakes about the time we level off from Charlotte. And I did have a ton of fun.

Frankly, LXer is turning out to be the most fun thing I've ever done. I felt like a kid in a candy store up in Columbus. And seeing people like Paul, j_r_fink, the TLLTS guys, and others just really got me excited. People really showed their appreciation for LXer's support, too. Quite a few people up there recognized us, or at least read LXer regularly.

I've tried a lot of different things, Dino, and usually come out feeling like a milk bucket under a bull. With LXer, I can post stories, moderate flame wars and fly airplanes. Things just flow naturally, for the most part.

I also think the flight was more than just fun. Bob is, technically speaking, a complete stranger to me. Yet, I felt like I was with an old friend. I learned some things about myself through that flying experience, both as a novice taking the controls for the first time, and as a passenger flying through a storm. The whole experience was simply awesome.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!