Forget freedom?

Story: A Call to Distros: Give Users What They WantTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
purplewizard

Oct 26, 2006
10:23 AM EDT
I say toss the guy in an 4m square cell and feed him twice a day for 10 years and then ask him again about freedom? Oh and he mentioned chains so perhaps shackle him too?

I really have no time left for people who want to toss away their freedom except in so far they need to be farmed to a different outlook as part of safe guarding my freedom into the future.
tuxchick2

Oct 26, 2006
12:21 PM EDT
If you throw a guy in that cell you've kidnapped the wrong person- Eugenia isn't a man. :)
dcparris

Oct 26, 2006
2:41 PM EDT
pw: Oops!
jimf

Oct 26, 2006
3:26 PM EDT
Linch mob mentality strikes again :D
tuxchick2

Oct 26, 2006
3:56 PM EDT
I do agree with the sentiment. Especially when you look at her list of "must-have" applications. Adobe Reader? Get real- it's spyware, it's a multi-megabyte hog, and there are several good FOSS alternatives. WiFi drivers and firmwares? dawww, just purchase devices with the very well-supported Atheros chipsets, or the pretty-well supported Prism chipsets. Opera?? WTF?? Have we suddenly run out of quality web browsers?

and so forth...

helios

Oct 27, 2006
2:31 AM EDT
TC, there is little you and I have disagreed upon in the realm of FOSS, but let us speak of Opera for a bit if we may...

I only speak in the collective as I feel a gang-slapping coming. (circa 1980 "Airplane". Sans the bit where the passengers line up to assault the hysterical woman...one of the funniest bits ever committed to film.

In the past month or so, a well-written article appeared on these pages titled something to the affect of "Why is Firefox broken in Linux." Pardon my laziness for not physically finding it, but it is here, I am sure. I found myself nodding throughout the piece as I have encountered the exact phenomenon the author notes. Here is one small but important example, at least important to me.

I spend an inordinate amount of time on my computer as you and many of us do. As such, I find that mouse gestures is invaluable as a tool. Since programming my side buttons (a:) never sticks through an X restart or reboot and (b:) is a major pain in the glutes, MG is worth its poundage in gold to me. Try it yourself. In Firefox Linux, the mouse gestures are either slow or must be "double-clutched" in order to work. In Ffox windows, it is as smooth as a mirror...exactly as smooth in Opera Linux. Now granted, it is pre-programmed in Opera and not an addable extension, but to me that does not matter. I severely miss the many extensions I use in Firefox and do use FFox for those tasks where the extensions are needed, but only for those tasks. read: a visit to youtube, ahem).

It seems that my particular combination of "must-have" extensions severely breaks Gecko...every friggin time. I simply do not have time for that. I think the author of this piece is way off base concerning FOSS vs non-free software but as in everything, there are exceptions and Opera is my exception. Gecko, under heavy use, is not the engine for my brower, at least for Linux Use. When Firefox can work as well in Linux as it does in Windows (Man that makes my stomach churn to say) then I will be an opera user.

and for the record, Opera's mail client - M2...?

Sux

h

nalf38

Oct 27, 2006
2:19 PM EDT
I guess the main problem I have with Eugenia's article is that all the proprietary apps that she suggests should be included in a default Linux install *aren't* included in a default Windows install. Talk about a huge double standard.

I guess I'm out of the loop, as far as proprietary apps are concerned. I wouldn't miss Adobe Reader in a million years. It's a bloated piece of crud and the latest KPDF reader has all the functions of the latest Reader.

As far as hardware with working drivers go, it's not much different than shopping for a Mac. Do a little bit of research beforehand to find a supported chipset. I want native Wifi drivers like anyone else, but ndiswrapper is a powerful interim solution and they've worked most of the freeze-bugs out of it, and the install script that comes on Knoppix makes installation of Windows NDIS drivers about as mindless as it can get.

The only proprietary things I miss out on are the things related to web browsing and playing web content-- Flash, Java, and Windows Media audio and video (and also DVD playing), and those things can be gotten very easily.

With the exception of iTunes, I feel as though those who are calling for more proprietary products in Linux are overstating the problem.
jsusanka

Oct 27, 2006
2:27 PM EDT
"I do agree with the sentiment. Especially when you look at her list of "must-have" applications. Adobe Reader? Get real- it's spyware, it's a multi-megabyte hog, and there are several good FOSS alternatives. WiFi drivers and firmwares? dawww, just purchase devices with the very well-supported Atheros chipsets, or the pretty-well supported Prism chipsets. Opera?? WTF?? Have we suddenly run out of quality web browsers?

and so forth..."

totally totally totally agree with TC. WTF why did adobe go from a 30 meg download to around 100 meg download in one version jump. SPYWARE -

I get rid of that thing first chance I get. So I wish more ditros would get rid of adobe.

Konqueror and evince work just fine for me - I am really liking evince it is really nice and clean and makes the documents look great.

this author is a joke - don't even know where to begin.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!