IRC Channel?

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 20
Author Content
techiem2

Oct 31, 2006
1:25 PM EDT
Is there an lxer IRC channel somewhere? If not, would anyone come if I created on on freenode?
dcparris

Oct 31, 2006
1:33 PM EDT
That's funny. I've been pondering something like that myself, albeit for the editors. It might be helpful sometimes. Still, for the readers is a good idea, imo. I'm honestly not sure how often I would be there, but I like the idea. Hmmm...
jimf

Oct 31, 2006
1:52 PM EDT
Freenode is where a lot of the Linux distro channels are. Pretty good, but sometimes a little chaotic, and not as reliable. You might also look at Debian run OFTC which is very stable. Whatever you do, you really should specify Don or Bob as OP/owner, and give them access as it will be in some ways representing LXer.
techiem2

Oct 31, 2006
2:15 PM EDT
Or they could create the channel and all us users could just join. :)
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 31, 2006
2:21 PM EDT
That sounds cool..an LXer IRC..

cooool..
tuxchick2

Oct 31, 2006
3:53 PM EDT
well then, everyone start practicing:

OMGLOL!!!111oneoneone!!11bbq /me defriends every emo wanker in the channel so linux and ftp r the same thing rite? Can you explain what RAID is to me? isn't it two harddrives where one holds all the 1's and the other holds all the 0's? Euch, rap is just missing one letter. c. rapc? I hated going to weddings. All the grandmas would poke me saying "You're next". They stopped that when I started doing it to them at funerals. ur hot thanks np
techiem2

Oct 31, 2006
4:29 PM EDT
rofl@tc

That's half the fun of IRC! The complete insanity of it all! :)
jimf

Oct 31, 2006
4:59 PM EDT
tuxchick,

Do that a couple of times on my channel and I'll make the ban permanent :D
Scott_Ruecker

Oct 31, 2006
6:35 PM EDT
Quoting:OMGLOL!!!111oneoneone!!11bbq /me defriends every emo wanker in the channel so linux and ftp r the same thing rite? Can you explain what RAID is to me? isn't it two harddrives where one holds all the 1's and the other holds all the 0's? Euch, rap is just missing one letter. c. rapc?

I can't wait...

AAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!(off into distance)..................
Sander_Marechal

Oct 31, 2006
9:58 PM EDT
Let me be the first to point out that LXer IRC would be a bad idea.

Adding an IRC channel is the most sure-fire way to kill of a not-terribly-active forum. People will hang out in IRC and chat/comment there instead of posting messages on this site. Which means that your site will seem dead from the outside. Few new people will join and after a while the IRC dies down too. You need a very active forum and a very large userbase in order to prevent this. Something in the order of multiple 100's of messages per day - at a minimum.

There's a great article about this somewhere but Google is hiding it from me at the moment. But I can speak from experience as well. I killed at least one fairly active forum (100 users - 40 msg/day) with an IRC channel.
jimf

Oct 31, 2006
10:24 PM EDT
I've also pointed out to Scott that this is 'a lot' of work to manage and maintain. If you think that debates get heated here, Imagine how difficult it would be to moderate an IRC channel. And someone must moderate it pretty much 24-7.

I love IRC, and it can be a great live communication tool, but for LXer, maybe not.
incinerator

Nov 01, 2006
12:22 AM EDT
The bike shed is irc.

Just give it a go, if the forums die you can always close the channel again. Needn't be IRC either, we could establish a muc room on any given jabber server, as well.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 01, 2006
1:04 AM EDT
Quoting:Just give it a go, if the forums die you can always close the channel again.

If the forums die then you need to grow your forum community all over again. That's a lot harder than simply turning off the IRC channel.
incinerator

Nov 01, 2006
1:57 AM EDT
As long as there's enough people who actually read lxer, ge-growing the so-called "forum community" won't be a problem. I'd prefer to see it as an "lxer reader's community", that's not specific to the forums, is it? I don't see how those two things have much potential for collision anyway. When I make a comment to an article I don't want it to scroll away into nothingness in 10 minutes, do I? Why would I use IRC only then? What are you afraid of? Neophobes? here? at lxer? shocking!!!
Sander_Marechal

Nov 01, 2006
3:49 AM EDT
Actually, quite a lof of LXer is discussions between people (like we do now). A news post is just the spark for the discussion and it quickly goes off at a tangent. Such discussion can very well be held in IRC. I mean, what's faster? Posting here and waiting untill I pop by the thread and write a response, or firing up XChat and type something (assuming you can see on the LXer page who's in IRC - a simple feat).

I'm no neophobe, but I've seen various forums killed by IRC and have killed one myself too. I'd hate t see that happen to LXer's lively discussions.
Scott_Ruecker

Nov 01, 2006
3:57 AM EDT
Quoting:I'm no neophobe, but I've seen various forums killed by IRC and have killed one myself too. I'd hate t see that happen to LXer's lively discussions.

I agree, the LXer forums are unique in that the quality of the discussions are second to none. To jeopardize or destroy that..No.
incinerator

Nov 01, 2006
4:17 AM EDT
Forums don't get killed simply because IRC comes along and joins the party. Why did all these people formerly posting to forums switch to IRC then? Did dey do it out of a silly mood or what? No, they probably did it because IRC turned out to be the better medium for that particular community. If the lxer community enjoys their forums so much they would not abandon the forums unless IRC offered them a significant advantage. However, if IRC happened to be the better medium for the lxer community we should commence migration at once, in that case a migration to IRC would improve the "lxer experience" significantly. But how likely is that?

That's why I'm asking what you are afraid of. Establishing a dedicated lxer IRC channel is so unlikely to kill the forums this risk shouldn't be the reason not to have an IRC channel.
tuxchick

Nov 01, 2006
9:29 AM EDT
IRC would be fun, but it is a lot of work to administer, as jimf pointed out. That's the part I'd be wary about.
hkwint

Dec 27, 2006
4:50 AM EDT
I agree with Sander. No, not because I'm from the same country or because I never used IRC (one attempt I guess), I'm afraid to lose people too.

If we look at how many LXer frequent forum posters went to Farawy-istan already... It's sad to see. Even FeriCyde and Dino aren't that frequent at LXer forums anymore. I wouldn't want to miss almost everyone of our current posters. Ok, sure, it wouldn't be a problem if Dino went ;), but you get the idea.
swbrown

Dec 27, 2006
5:09 AM EDT
Here, I'll give you the IRC experience - let's get a few hundred LXer readers together in this thread, then all go idle.
azerthoth

Dec 27, 2006
7:29 AM EDT
Good point. Our (associates of mine) site runs 3 forums, our IRC channel which is usually populated by 25 or more people can go for 24 hours without anyone saying a word. Luckily that channel is just an adjunct to the real one. The real one being for development collaboration, the other being so that our players can ask us questions.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!