nice work, editerdood

Story: The GPLv3 Debate: Viewing The LandscapeTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tuxchick

Nov 01, 2006
9:25 AM EDT
"Either the FSF is trying to order you around, or they consulted you. Which is it? And weren't they trying to tell you what to do with your code when they first developed the GPL"

Quite. :)

Even for people who don't understand what RMS represents, the attacks against him should speak volumes. Someone is worried about what he stands for and what he is doing, and is trying very hard to discredit and marginalize RMS and the FSF. Let's see now, who could that be? Hint: follow the money, then follow the dirty tricks trails.
dinotrac

Nov 01, 2006
9:39 AM EDT
TC -

Methinks your response is beneath you, little birdie. You have already proven that you are capable of excellent insight and expression, so I refuse to let you get away with bumper sticker misdirection here. The loudest squawks in the current discussion are not coming from Microsoft's Redmond Rodents or Larry Ellison's evil elves. They're coming from people who have created he most significant software ever released under the GPL.

Like it or not, there s some there there.

Y'know, from the perspective of your comment, I might reasonably wonder who is stuffing your pockets. After all, your position suggests that there is no reasonable basis for opposing the RMS position. That would be a mindless fangirl stance. You are not a mindless fangirl,so, perhaps we should follow the money...or the horses...or the oats...or maybe the discount truck repairs or something.
jimf

Nov 01, 2006
10:01 AM EDT
> Someone is worried about what he stands for and what he is doing

Damned right. Personally I believe that he's now doing more harm than good for Linux.

> follow the money

Lol, as dino says, the main criticism is coming from within the Linux community, and, I only 'wish' I could get money for trashing RMS :D

Talk about FUD...
tuxchick

Nov 01, 2006
10:07 AM EDT
I probably could have been more specific, but come on dino, you've been around long enough to know what I stand for. You should know I'm not accusing the kernel devs of being in anyone's pocket. On the few occasions I have said anything negative about Linus and the gang, it's been very specific, like the Bitkeeper thing, or disagreeing with something they were quoted as saying. And I've said far fewer negative things about them than the RMS-bashers have posted on LXer. Want a definition of RMS bashers? Not the people who disagree with his views and deeds, but who sound like Dan Lyons.

The anti-RMS campaign has been going on for some time via the usual channels- the tech "press" . The same old gullible/ignorant/careless/analysts/outright shills who print anything except quality, well-researched articles. The Dan Lyons piece is the most obvious- it's so shrill it's hard to imagine anyone taking it seriously. Maybe you're not reading CNET/ZDNet, Forbes, the Register, LinuxInsider, random blogs which are suddenly elevated to the level of CNET/ZDNet, etc... But I do, and they print a lot of anti-RMS junk. Which is no surprise, since they're largely junk anyway.
tuxchick

Nov 01, 2006
10:08 AM EDT
jimf, you have yet to come up with any actual examples of the harm you say RMS is doing.
dinotrac

Nov 01, 2006
10:12 AM EDT
>you've been around long enough to know what I stand for. You should know I'm not accusing the kernel devs of being in anyone's pocket.

Exactly.

That's why I chide you for trying to misdirect the audience away from an actual dispute.

What's the old line? Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean everybody isn't out to get you?

Well, just because everybody's out to get RMS doesn't mean he's right.
tuxchick

Nov 01, 2006
10:23 AM EDT
"Well, just because everybody's out to get RMS doesn't mean he's right."

Precisely. Which is why I keep ranting here about the stupid criticisms that address everything except his views and deeds.

"That's why I chide you for trying to misdirect the audience away from an actual dispute."

Me?? Get a grip. I'm not passing off Dan Lyons-style tripe as debate here.
dinotrac

Nov 01, 2006
11:20 AM EDT
TC -

I had to go back and check the article link. Unless I'm mistaken, the Rev and Dan Lyons are not the same person. It's the Rev's article we're commenting on, right?
jimf

Nov 01, 2006
11:29 AM EDT
Give her a break dino, she imagines she's been eating tripe... That's enough to upset anyone ;-)
jdixon

Nov 01, 2006
12:23 PM EDT
Dino, Jimf:

I think it's clear that tuxchick is referring to articles in the tech press by such as Lyons and his ilk, not those who are disagreeing in this forum.
dinotrac

Nov 01, 2006
12:38 PM EDT
jdixon -

Kind of clear.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!