The best laid plans...

Story: LinuxBIOS - A truly GPLed Free Software BIOSTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
jimf

Nov 17, 2006
9:50 AM EDT
This is a great Idea, but first of all, it's been going on for years, and secondly, the list of supported MBs is still woefully small...
tuxchick

Nov 17, 2006
9:51 AM EDT
Sounds like a perfect companion for the HURD.
herzeleid

Nov 17, 2006
9:57 AM EDT
Where's your optimism? Geez, do you know how many brilliant inventions in history languished for years before their usefulness was discovered?

And surely, you can't have missed the significance of the band that broke up and went their separate ways after really trying,without success, to make a go of it, only to have a song of theirs discovered 5 years later, and become so popular that the guys got together and re-formed the band? (the name of the band escapes me at present, but I read about it with some interest)

Well, the moral of the story is, don't despise small beginnings.
tuxchick

Nov 17, 2006
10:07 AM EDT
I bet the difference between something like Linux attracting a large dev community and something like the Hurd being less popular is simply the "cool factor." Devs like to bleat about how only the code matters, but they are sooooo deluded. Coolness and personalities are everything, so it comes down to Linus having more groupies.
nalf38

Nov 17, 2006
11:58 AM EDT
I certainly wish it worked on a larger number of boards, but until then it's largely a lofty goal and not much else. It would sure take away the worry about having to buy a drm-locked mobo in the future.
jimf

Nov 17, 2006
12:16 PM EDT
> I bet the difference between something like Linux attracting a large dev community and something like the Hurd being less popular is simply the "cool factor."

Or more likely just sour grapes from the Hurd people. History is full of brilliant 'concepts' that just don't work very well in the real world.
Sander_Marechal

Nov 17, 2006
1:07 PM EDT
I think it's simply a matter of critical mass. There's a *lot* of mobo components to reverse engineer and a lack of developers. That means porting the LinuxBIOS is difficult. Once most of the standard components of the bigger manufacturers are done then porting becomes a lot easier - especially for boards consisting entirely of big brand off-the-shelf components.
tuxchick

Nov 17, 2006
1:39 PM EDT
For me this is another one of those WTF moments. It seems that the motherboard manufacturers have everything to gain by supporting something like LinuxBIOS. There are no super-sekkrit technologies like NVidia and ATI claim to have- it's all antique code and near-obsolete functionality. Yeah, so now we can boot to more devices- what about neat stuff like you can do on other hardware platforms, like a genuine serial console, being able to step through the boot process at your own speed, and capturing kernel boot messages? In the x86 world you can't do this unless you buy something like the PC Weasel. Opening up the BIOS would accelerate development, distribute the workload, and cool things would happen.

Though I suspect that back here on Planet Earth there is the promise of too much DRM money for this to happen.
jimf

Nov 17, 2006
1:52 PM EDT
> For me this is another one of those WTF moments

Absolutely! Why hasn't this taken off like gangbusters? Last I checked, it's something we all could use.
helios

Nov 17, 2006
3:26 PM EDT
...Absolutely! Why hasn't this taken off like gangbusters?

It will...lthey are just waiting for the Open Source Video Card thats gonna hit the market a-n-y M-i-n-u-t-e n-o-w...
jimf

Nov 17, 2006
3:47 PM EDT
I guess that goes in the queue with the National TV Linux advertising campaign :(

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!