Windows-based IM client memory footprints.

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
Teron

Nov 30, 2006
7:10 AM EDT
I just installed Psi on my machine's 'doze side. Since I have Gaim, Windows Live Messenger (for big file transfers ONLY. Gaim's just too slow) and Google Talk on it already, I decided to do a memory usage comparison:

Client - RAM used (approx.) -Windows open - Networks connected to Gaim - 21 700kB - 1, with three MSN tabs - MSN, LJ Talk Google Talk - 19 600kB - 1 - Google Talk Psi - 15 000kB - 1 - Google Talk

And now...

Windows Live Messenger - 40 000kB - 1 - MSN

*whistles*

Man, that SUCKS. For M$, that is. But sucky apps coming from Redmond isn't really news, right?
Libervis

Nov 30, 2006
9:44 AM EDT
Well, you know, I could say it is strategic. MS makes Windows and its apps as heavy as possible to force you to buy a whole new computer, of course, from those major companies who sell Windows PCs.
tuxchick

Nov 30, 2006
9:51 AM EDT
He ain't heavy.... he's my Windooowwwwss......... [cue orchestra]
swbrown

Nov 30, 2006
4:21 PM EDT
To be fair, Windows Live Messenger has an order of magnitude more features than any of the other clients. The question as to if those features are worth having is separate (e.g., I don't expect much call for GAim to support nudges).
Sander_Marechal

Nov 30, 2006
10:13 PM EDT
If GAIM is going to support nudges i'm going to fork it.
jimf

Nov 30, 2006
10:24 PM EDT
> support nudges

I'm not even going to ask.... I gave up IM's except for IRC several years ago.
Sander_Marechal

Dec 01, 2006
12:58 AM EDT
Basically, you can push a button so the other guy's window will wobble and shake like it's been slapped with a trout. It's annoying as hell and novel for
hkwint

Dec 27, 2006
4:38 AM EDT
Darn nudges... I sometimes click on them by accident when not using AMSN, but some sort of webinterface-MSN, and the find myself and the person on the other end of the line wondering what the f**k happened.

May the nudges burn in hell please? (Yes, Christmas is over today)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!