shock and awe!

Story: Travails of adding a second hard disk in a PC running LinuxTotal Replies: 7
Author Content
tuxchick

Dec 08, 2006
2:21 PM EDT
Since when did jumpering IDE hard drives become a thing of awe and wonder? They work the exact same way on any operating system when you take three seconds out of your busy life to jumper them correctly. Cable select isn't reliable on any OS. The cable itself is supposed to correctly assign the drives, and you need a special cable. But I've never been able to rely on it. Cable select behaves differently with 40- and 80-wire cables, and you have to connect the drives to the cable the exactly right way.

Just set your jumpers, or even better go SATA.
jimf

Dec 08, 2006
2:30 PM EDT
PC hardware 101?
rijelkentaurus

Dec 08, 2006
5:36 PM EDT
>Just set your jumpers, or even better go SATA.

It's been a while since I've seen a new Dell (my employer is a Dell reseller) that had anything but SATA drives. IDE will be around in the low end and for adding to older PCs, but it's not got a lot of life left for new PCs.
jimf

Dec 08, 2006
5:43 PM EDT
> IDE will be around

Still a slew of those old 'and useful' machines around.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 08, 2006
5:57 PM EDT
>Still a slew of those old 'and useful' machines around.

Yup, including all of mine. I haven't been able to make myself buy a new one, even though I try my hardest to make myself believe I "need" a new one. I just can't drop the cash.
Koriel

Dec 09, 2006
1:44 PM EDT
I've been building machines for nigh on 15 years and you should always jumper your ide drives. I lost count on the number of drives/mb-bios combinations that failed to work with cable select using Win NT, XP and Linux as most of the time the OS is not the problem but its mostly down to drive and mb-bios combination sometimes you will get the right combo sometimes you wont and don't even think about trying it with IDE Flash drives those are real tempremental beasties.
jimf

Dec 09, 2006
1:49 PM EDT
> but its mostly down to drive and mb-bios combination

The up side is that you usually only have to configure once.
dcparris

Dec 10, 2006
11:00 AM EDT
Shucks, I'm still running a bunch of old 450MHz boxes, some of which are being migrated to Debian Etch. It only takes OOo about 30 seconds to load on these machines - not bad at all! I suspect the hardware will fail before they are no longer able to handle a GNU/Linux OS upgrade. ;-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!