Blah blah blah

Story: Microsoft answers IP questions posed in LXer open letterTotal Replies: 5
Author Content
ELF

Dec 11, 2006
5:54 AM EDT
I did not find anything having at least a bit of substance in these so called answers.

Of course, one has to read between the lines, as the saying goes in Germany. These so called answers speak for themselves.

I am SO sick of it.
purplewizard

Dec 11, 2006
7:53 AM EDT
I think your subject "blah blah blah" perfectly captures the content in the "answers".

Love to see a full explanation that bridges the gap between software is not patentable but an idea implemented in software is? Are they saying a book isn't readable but the text in it is or the text of the book isn't readable but the book is?

I like you am sick of it.

I would love to see an end to intellectual property. I really don't think it would be the end of the world at all. But that's a long discussion.

Thomas

Dec 11, 2006
8:22 AM EDT
Hello,

not quite sure if the end of this story (nightmare?) will come anytime soon... But in the end these so called answers coming down like hot air, just like good ol' FUD.... That's it.
bigg

Dec 11, 2006
8:51 AM EDT
There was one sentence that I found to not be blah, blah, blah:

"Through our agreement with Novell, Microsoft is providing access to thousands of patents."

Apparently they are contending that Novell is licensing Microsoft's patents. Perhaps Novell would like to respond. Perhaps Novell would like to explain how that is legal under the GPL. Something's inconsistent with earlier statements. I think the Microsoft comment went a little overboard.
tuxchick

Dec 11, 2006
9:00 AM EDT
There's been an awful lot of double-talk over how the deal is not a patent covenant. Every time anyone from either Novell or Microsoft opens their mouths, they emit contradictions. Yeah, whatever, as my wise old momma says "if it walks like dog doo and quacks like dog doo..."
hkwint

Dec 11, 2006
10:59 AM EDT
Difficult answers to simple questions (I hope those questions were simple, weren't they?) give a signal, which we might consider an answer too. It seems a bit like avoiding real answers to me. Also, look at the things they don't say instead of the things they do.

Nonetheless, I'm glad they answered my questions. It's probably the first time Microsoft took me serious...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!