how much of your freedom?

Story: SageTV Media Center Adds Support for Online Video, Global Broadcasts & MoreTotal Replies: 28
Author Content
jimf

Dec 18, 2006
10:03 PM EDT
> [Non-FOSS - Be careful how much of your freedom you sell off. - dcparris]

Wow, is that understating it. Invite DRM to your PC now. Only $79.95 and your first born will get you started.
dcparris

Dec 18, 2006
10:37 PM EDT
Yeah, that's what I figured.
SFN

Dec 19, 2006
8:50 AM EDT
Quoting:Only $79.95 and your first born will get you started.

If I knew then what I know now, I would have sold off my first born long ago. Only I would have gotten better than SageTV.
dinotrac

Dec 19, 2006
9:19 AM EDT
SFN -

I hear your pain. We refer to the first-born as our practice child.

Sigh. We love her anyway.
jdixon

Dec 19, 2006
10:07 AM EDT
> We refer to the first-born as our practice child. Sigh. We love her anyway.

And I'm certain she returns the favor in the spirit in which it was given. :)

Being a first born, I have some idea of the tribulations involved. Unfortunately (well, depending on your viewpoint), my wife and I do not have kids. :(
tuxchick

Dec 19, 2006
10:10 AM EDT
And she calls you her practice parents, until she can find some real ones. :D

There have been some interesting studies done on personalities as influenced by birth order. First-borns supposedly are more serious and responsible, and sticklers for Rules. Last-borns are more spoiled and less-disciplined. Some practically raise themselves if mom and dad are too pooped to bother, and firstborn has already moved out.

Middle-borns are well-balanced, attractive personalities with nary flaw nor blemish. Like me.
jimf

Dec 19, 2006
10:12 AM EDT
> Being a first born, I have some idea of the tribulations involved.

Here too... I have no doubt that my parents also thought of me as a practice child :D

> Middle-borns are well-balanced, attractive personalities with nary flaw nor blemish.

Well, that's usually not the opion of the elder or the younger ;-)
jdixon

Dec 19, 2006
10:24 AM EDT
> First-borns supposedly are ... sticklers for Rules.

Where did they get that from? In public, maybe.

> Middle-borns are well-balanced, attractive personalities with nary flaw nor blemish. Like me.

As always, TC, your logic and reasoning are flawless. :)
SFN

Dec 19, 2006
11:26 AM EDT
Quoting:First-borns supposedly are more serious and responsible.

Hmm. I must have had one prior to her of which I'm unaware.

Quoting:Last-borns are more spoiled and less-disciplined.

Ours is actually unspoiled and very disciplined, yet still bratty. And she does that "W" thing with her hands and mouths "whatever". It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

Up until a little over a year ago, my wife and I were unsure why we didn't op for skipping parenthood. Then we got a granddaughter.

Anybody else hate the long version of "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac?

What were we talking about again?
jdixon

Dec 19, 2006
11:42 AM EDT
> Anybody else hate the long version of "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac?

Well, I've never shared Lindsey Buckingham's opinion of his abilities. Let's leave it at that.
tuxchick

Dec 19, 2006
12:23 PM EDT
As long as we're discussing crimes against music- Pat Boone's 'In a Metal Mood' album.
SFN

Dec 19, 2006
1:00 PM EDT
http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&sql=10:b1uw6jah7180
dcparris

Dec 19, 2006
1:28 PM EDT
Gee, I must have missed that one. Actually, KISS cured my heavy metal adventures. I followed them for a while, and that was about it. I never meddled in metal again.
jimf

Dec 19, 2006
1:39 PM EDT
I want to thank you all for bringing up my absolute worst memorys of rock and roll music history... Just add the steve miller blues band and we're done :P
tuxchick

Dec 19, 2006
1:41 PM EDT
jimf, you can probably get Social Security disability for PTSD. I don't think it matters where it came from.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 19, 2006
2:07 PM EDT
>Anybody else hate the long version of "Oh Well" by Fleetwood Mac?

>Well, I've never shared Lindsey Buckingham's opinion of his abilities. Let's leave it at that.

It's Peter Green, not Lindsey Buckingham. And no, I in fact love the full version of "Oh Well," but to each their own.
jdixon

Dec 19, 2006
5:32 PM EDT
> It's Peter Green, not Lindsey Buckingham. And no, I in fact love the full version of "Oh Well," but to each their own.

I know Green wrote it, but I thought the long live version was performed by Lindsey, since I thought was done after he joined the band. The Peter Green version would predate the modern versions of Fleetwood Mac, and very few of their older songs get air play (unfortunately, they had some great songs in their pre-Lindsey/Stevie days). Oh well...
Sander_Marechal

Dec 19, 2006
10:29 PM EDT
> Actually, KISS cured my heavy metal adventures.

KISS is what got me started on metal (them and Judas Priest). Sadly it's one of two bands that I haven't been able to see live yet (the other one being AC/DC). I've seen practically everything else worth seeing in the Metal scene.
dcparris

Dec 19, 2006
10:45 PM EDT
One man's trash is another man's treasure? :-D
rijelkentaurus

Dec 20, 2006
2:46 AM EDT
>I know Green wrote it, but I thought the long live version was performed by Lindsey

I think we're talking about different long versions of the song. I don't know that I've ever heard the long version by Lindsey, I was speaking of the studio version, which included an eight-minute section at the end of classical guitar played by Green. Oh well, indeed. I'll have to scare the Lindsey version up.

>they had some great songs in their pre-Lindsey/Stevie days

While I like the Buckingham-Nicks lineup, I LOVE the Greener days of Fleetwood Mac. I can usually astound people by pointing out that "Black Magic Woman" is a Fleetwood Mac song, and not a Santana song. They were a hugely influential band, and "Oh Well" was the song Led Zep modeled "Black Dog" after, and the riff to "Walk This Way" is derived from the intro. Then there's "Beating Around the Bush" by ACDC.

A few years ago I saw The Splinter Group in concert, with a much older Peter Green. Great show, and I have a limited edition CD signed by the entire group. Best concert ever.

>Sadly it's one of two bands that I haven't been able to see live yet (the other one being AC/DC).

ACDC is a great live act and I am a big fan of their music. I don't care for KISS much at all, but I saw them a couple of years ago with Aerosmith, and they put on a GREAT live show...I was simply amazed.

>One man's trash is another man's treasure? :-D

Absolutely.
SFN

Dec 20, 2006
4:18 AM EDT
I still have a Salvation Army bought army shirt with a KISS Army patch on the back. I don't wear it but I can't bear to part with it.

Yes, I was referring to the Peter Green version. If they cut that piece in half in probably would have been fine. It's the same piece over and over.

I always liked the Bob Welch/Christine Perfect version of Fleetwood Mac. Really, I liked them all. So cool to have one band be so many different bands

I got to see AC/DC in concert twice - both times with Bon Scott. Anybody from the SF Bay Area and remember "Day On The Green"s?
jdixon

Dec 20, 2006
7:04 AM EDT
> I think we're talking about different long versions of the song.

Apparently so. I think they did a live version, and I thought that's what you were referring to. I'm pretty sure I've never heard the Peter Green version, as trying to find albums of that vintage in rural WV is a lost cause (as is money to buy them with, but that's another issue), and I've already noted the air play status of older Fleetwood Mac music. I could probably find it on gnutella, bittorrent, or allofmp3, but...
rijelkentaurus

Dec 20, 2006
2:32 PM EDT
>I could probably find it on gnutella, bittorrent, or allofmp3, but...

Not likely, as I had a time trying to find everything. I only found one or two songs on Limewire and similar things. That could have changed now, however.

>rural WV

That's where my mother's side of the family is from, just a bit outside of Beckley.
jdixon

Dec 20, 2006
6:05 PM EDT
> just a bit outside of Beckley.

Well, Beckley's a big city by WV standards. :) By comparison, I live just outside of Mannington, and I'm from Mt. Storm.
rijelkentaurus

Dec 21, 2006
1:22 AM EDT
>Well, Beckley's a big city by WV standards. :)

Yes, it is. Mom grew up around Rock Creek, and my memory is telling me she was actually born in War.
dinotrac

Dec 21, 2006
2:50 AM EDT
jdixon -

Hmmmmmm....

Appalachian boy, eh? I grew up (mostly) in "not West" Virginia. Not quite night and day, but close enough. Proof that beautiful and "tough as nails" can coexist.
dek

Dec 21, 2006
6:50 AM EDT
Ah Appalachia! Brings back fond memories of living around Harlan KY for two years while working in the Mental Health field. I thouroughy enjoyed myself but when the paper work grew from a 3 page intake form to ten pages, I had to get out of that agency. It felt like the paperwork was more important than the clients (not that that should be any surprise).

I KNEW there was something I liked about jdixon! ;-)

Don K
jdixon

Dec 21, 2006
4:53 PM EDT
> That could have changed now, however.

Apparently so. A Frostwire search for Peter Green gives 230 hits. Probably less than half of those are actual Peter Green songs, but even if a quarter of them are (which looks about right, looking at the titles), that's over 50 songs. Allowing for duplicates still gives 20-30 songs.

Bittorrent is probably even better. Here's an extract from an interesting hit on isohunt:

Fleetwood Mac - discografia - 1968/2003 - 49 albums - ENJOY !!!

The download claims to be 3.61 GB, so they may be telling the truth.

> Appalachian boy, eh?

Yeah. Born and raised in Mt. Storm. Graduated from WVU. Worked in MD and VA for several years before finding my way back home. I'll probably have to leave when I retire though; the winters around here are just too difficult. :(

My wife is already spending the worst months of winter in Myrtle Beach for her health (hey, it's only $600/month for a furnished apartment with utilities and an ocean view and it's saving over $1000 in medical bills, what's not to like). I'll be driving down to spend Christmas through New Year's with her, so I doubt I'll be online much over the next week or so.
tuxchick

Dec 21, 2006
6:19 PM EDT
dang jdixon, that sux. I can almost forgive her for not instantly falling in love with Linuxchix. :) I hope you have a nice holiday break!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!