Where is the interoperability technology from Microsoft?

Story: Dashboard: Office, OpenOffice Ready To TalkTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
mark_oz

Jan 01, 2007
2:40 AM EDT
What we need to see is full support for ODF in Office 2007. By "full support", I mean the ability to set ODF as the default format, and to read & write fully compliant ODF format documents in Office 2007. Either Microsoft add such support to Office 2007, or many institutions (and indeed, many companies) will be unable to use the Office 2007 product.

As it stands, Office 2007 is not standards complaint. It is deficient and unusable due to its utter lack of standards compliance for Office document formats.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 01, 2007
5:08 AM EDT
>As it stands, Office 2007 is not standards complaint.

Even worse, at least as far as MS users go, is that 2007 is a brand new file format and "upgrade" from 2003. I hate the thought of the issues that it's going to cause, when I have a client using 2000 or 2003 who get a doc from someone using 2007, and they can't open it, or don't know how to open it. I work with another engineer who reasons that anyone using 2000 needs to upgrade, but I hate that point of view. I guess I should buy a new car since I'm driving a 2005 and here it is 2007? That's ridiculous, and I think it's the same with software. Regardless of any "benefits" from MS's new file format, I am prone to believe its chief purpose is to pressure users of Offce 97 and 2000 to upgrade to the newest one. Yes, I am that paranoid.

If MS believed their product was so superior, they'd not have issue with using an open standard file format. I think their refusal to do so says a lot.

StarOffice for $70, or Office 2007 for $400? Hmmmmm.... And then there're the freebie ones, also good. KOffice has come a long way, and OOo is nice.
dinotrac

Jan 01, 2007
5:14 AM EDT
rijel -

But Office 2007 is a known quantity. Maybe not its interface, file format, or features, but we know it is certain to be a pile of crap.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 01, 2007
6:14 AM EDT
>certain to be a pile of crap.

No arguments from me.
hiohoaus

Jan 01, 2007
7:58 PM EDT
Oh, here http://www.openoffice.org/ it is! Now Microsoft will interoperate...

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!