Garbage site ... garbage article.

Story: Interview with Jeremy Allison on Novell, Microsoft, and BeyondTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
DarrenR114

Jan 01, 2007
9:01 AM EDT
'Nuff said.
dinotrac

Jan 01, 2007
9:32 AM EDT
Don't know about the site, but why is the article garbage?
azerthoth

Jan 01, 2007
10:02 AM EDT
Thats twice in as many days I'v had to give up my recent hobby of kicking dino in the shins and agree with him again. The article and related comments were a pretty good read.
tuxchick

Jan 01, 2007
10:14 AM EDT
dang, that's no fun. Can't you kick him anyway?

The first part of the interview is copy-n-paste from the Mary Jo Foley interview, but there's new stuff in the second bit. And it's all interesting. Mr. Allison blames himself for not speaking up sooner and more loudly, but I doubt it would have made a difference. The folks up in the suit suites inhabit a different universe. In this article http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewA... Ron Hovesepian paints a picture of good ole CEO and COO boyz getting together on a friendly basis to craft a mutually-beneficial deal. I think he was dipping into Enderle's stash to even think that Microsoft would make a deal on that basis.
dinotrac

Jan 01, 2007
10:24 AM EDT
TC -

A couple of things I found interesting...

The initial reports indicated that Microsoft brought up the idea of patent protection and Jeremy seems to be confirming that here. Makes it sound like Novell & Microsoft had been working on a deal for a long time, then Microsoft brought out a last-minute "Deal/No Deal" condition -- maybe even bluffing -- that didn't seem to cost Novell anything, at least not so far as execs could see. Kind of clever, actually. When you reach the end game in a big deal, the conversation shifts from "what does everybody want" to "Is this a deal-breaker?".

Also interesting that Allison doesn't seem to think too badly of the Novell Execs. Maybe there is hope that they will learn from this experience. I also like his description of Novell as a place where people could disagree. Doesn't sound like a certain company in the northwest.

At any rate, Allison should not be beating himself up. It's unlikely he could have made much difference anyway.
jsusanka

Jan 01, 2007
4:45 PM EDT
Allison was right in that this deal was not needed and I too feel we were winning. To me that is the worse part - was that this deal is so shortsighted and that it was not needed.
rijelkentaurus

Jan 01, 2007
5:00 PM EDT
>'Nuff said.

I think you've made it clear that you don't like anything anti MS/Novell in other discussions. However, that does not make a site or a story garbage.

I think it's an excellent interview, and I think that respect is due the guy whether you agree with his stance or not. He left a job that it seems he enjoyed, because he felt they crossed a moral line. That took some guts.

I am also interested in seeing how Samba grows with a little more Google behind it.
jdixon

Jan 01, 2007
6:29 PM EDT
> It's unlikely he could have made much difference anyway.

Five days before the agreement is signed? No way. With five months to work, he might have been able to do something. That close to the signing date, there's absolutely nothing he could have done.
Abe

Jan 02, 2007
7:06 AM EDT
Quoting:It's unlikely he could have made much difference anyway.
Novell's intentions were premeditated for a long time and there was no one or anything going to change that. They must have been very desperate to sell their soul to the devil.

Allison have been very eloquent and courteous to Novel's people, but stood his ground and did the right thing. For that, he is highly respected.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!