And so it begins again...

Story: New Year 2007 - The year of GNU/LinuxTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
jimf

Jan 01, 2007
6:46 PM EDT
And so it begins again, 2007 the year that Linux 'makes it'. As it was in 2004, and 2005, and 2006... This crap is starting to become a real sore point for me. All of the aforementioned years were important in the advancement of Linux. 2007 will undoubtedly be another one.

I have no doubt that Linux will eventually be the major Desktop. The disputes with proprietary drivers, and codex, and GPLv3 are all transitory. They and other detailing will eventually be resolved. None of this will stop the success of Linux.

Part of success of Linux is going to be that MS is becoming so insecure, distrustful of its customers, and, downright distasteful that Linux becomes the logical default. Most of the reason that Linux will be successful is because it is a superb OS with a wonderful choice of desktops and servers, because it has a great community of developers and users, and, because it belongs to 'us'.

Will this wonderful success happen in 2007? The real question is whether it's important that it happen right now. The answer is that it's definitely not. I suspect that at some point we'll be able to look back and be able to say 'it happened about then', but I doubt that we'll realize the moment when it actually occurs.
devnet

Jan 02, 2007
6:09 AM EDT
It does get old to hear it each year...old and nauseating.
tuxchick

Jan 02, 2007
7:53 AM EDT
did you guys read the article? It's pretty good. He doesn't make the usual dim claims of "this is the year we reeaaalllly make it! No really!" It's a nice overview of some of the things he likes about Linux and FOSS.
jimf

Jan 02, 2007
8:13 AM EDT
> article?

Well, not much of an article., but yes, I read it.
bigg

Jan 02, 2007
8:26 AM EDT
I witnessed the year of Linux in 2006. In terms of user-friendliness, power, etc., it became a legitimate alternative for nearly all existing users. (Ubuntu, opensuse, pclinux, heck, even to some extent Debian).

You're going to give yourself ulcers if you define the year of Linux as the year in which someone else makes the choice to actually use Linux. But it's there if, like me, they conclude they aren't smart enough to handle viruses and malware.
number6x

Jan 02, 2007
9:41 AM EDT
I first got Linux installed on a 75Mhz 486 w/ 8 MB ram in February of 1997. I'd been working on it since December of 1997. :)

But for me, 1999 was the 'Year of the Penguin' The year I switched to Linux as my main OS.

Thinking about that made me realize how far these kind of articles miss the mark. Each year is 'The Year' for Linux for thousands, and maybe millions of new users.

It might not be the year for one pundit, or for a few analysts. But on January 1st 2008 more people will use Linux day in and day out than do today. For each one of those people, 2007 will be the year Linux 'Made It'. Even if the press doesn't think so.

So in the way the predictions of Linux domination meant it, the predictions have always failed to be correct. But for numerous users each year, the prediction was absolutely true. What ever year it was that they switched to Linux was the year that Linux 'Made It'.

I think that the second half of 2007 and the first half of 2008 is going to be a great time to get Linux on the old XP boxes people will be forgetting about as they buy their new Vista capable boxes. After a few weeks or months, the viruses and worms will slow their Vista boxes, and they'll be looking for solutions.

I'll be ready with CD's.
jimf

Jan 02, 2007
9:48 AM EDT
helois has just posted one of his best http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/77497/index.html which pertains to all this. I agree with most, if not all of it. If nothing else, it's a great read :).

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!