Untitled

Story: DRM on audio CD's abolishedTotal Replies: 8
Author Content
Koriel

Jan 09, 2007
10:35 AM EDT
It had a big effect on me as i stopped buying CD's altogether!
tuxchick

Jan 09, 2007
10:59 AM EDT
heh, do you buy DVDs? Thanks to our charming entertainment overlords, did you know that the first eight bits of every recordable DVD is non-writable? Because that's where the decryption keys on commercial DVDs are stored.

I wonder why they're so insanely demented over using CSS on movie DVDs and not music CDs. Oh well, I'll count my blessings where I can find them. I buy a lot of music CDs, and listen to Sirius and Pandora. Greed killed the commercial radio stations years ago, so I am happy to have some new music broadcasts to listen to.
dcparris

Jan 09, 2007
1:07 PM EDT
I rent DVDs, but don't buy. Frankly, I just don't have a need for a big collection.
Koriel

Jan 09, 2007
1:20 PM EDT
I do buy DVD's but not often and CSS hasn't been a problem for a long time my only problem has been the region encoding and NTSC/PAL formatting since I moved to the USA from the UK, I had to purchase this litlle region free, dual format beauty to watch all my dvds regardless as to where they were purchased.

http://www.amazon.com/OPPO-OPDV971H-Digital-HD-Ready-Up-Conv...

I can highly reccomend it, i can even take it back to the UK with me as its dual voltage this is how things should be made, the region thing if you will pardon my french is complete monopolistic bullsh*t.

Hoping that they will eventually take heed of the CD lesson and apply the same thinking to DVD's.

PS: i meant to post in the original thread sorry about that :(
jimf

Jan 09, 2007
1:28 PM EDT
I'm with Don.

In fact, I go one further. Movie DVDs are for DVD players and I've no use for them on a computer.
Sander_Marechal

Jan 09, 2007
1:35 PM EDT
I wonder why no DVD manufacturer was ever sued over region encoding. Oficially it's illegal in pretty much any part of the world. The only reason they got away with it is because it ties in with the CSS copy protection.
jezuch

Jan 09, 2007
3:00 PM EDT
Quoting:did you know that the first eight bits of every recordable DVD is non-writable?

Eight *bits*? So it's, like, a millisecond to brute-force it? :>
jdixon

Jan 09, 2007
3:30 PM EDT
> I wonder why no DVD manufacturer was ever sued over region encoding.

I believe they were in Australia.
tuxchick

Jan 09, 2007
4:11 PM EDT
Bits, bytes, bots, bats... wotever it is, I want a refund for the portion of the disk I can't use! **stomp feet**

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!