heeeheee, awesome

Story: One Dweeb's Phishing TripTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
tuxchick

Jan 13, 2007
3:23 PM EDT
This is great, thanks. I'm-a gonna Digg it. :)
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 13, 2007
3:42 PM EDT
Already ahead of you on that one TC. Great Article!
azerthoth

Jan 13, 2007
3:43 PM EDT
http://digg.com/linux_unix/One_Dweeb_s_Phishing_Trip

Theres the link even.
kozmcrae

Jan 13, 2007
3:54 PM EDT
Wow, great article. It makes me wonder though, has anybody told Yahoo that we're in the 21st century now. It's not the 90's anymore. I could understand this kind of criminal cluelessness by some pre-dotcom boom start-up, but not a "seasoned" pillar of the Internet.

hkwint

Jan 13, 2007
4:23 PM EDT
It's on its way to Slashdot too, but don't expect them to publish it.

It's really a great article by the way. If only the world had more 'active' persons like you! I have such a paypal-phishing mail too, should study it also.
hkwint

Jan 13, 2007
4:34 PM EDT
OK, there it is. A 'TCF bank' phising mail, and guess what, Yahoo! shows up again.

They have the site TCF Express .us (don't go there! Phishing site!), while the real address should be TCFBank.com

Some info (nope, I'm not good at this):

$whois tcfexpress.us Registrant Email: patneedham999 _at_ yahoo |dot| com (Just in case the email address is from someone who isn't involved, I spam-proved it) Billing Contact Name: YahooDomains BillingContact Billing Contact Organization: Yahoo! Inc

I don't know what to do. I don't feel like making phone-calls, since that would cost me a lot of bucks, and phoning in a language that isn't yours is still difficult (at least, for me). But it seems, more people use Yahoo! for phishing, and something should be done about it.
Scott_Ruecker

Jan 13, 2007
4:58 PM EDT
I submitted it to Linux.com, Newsforge, Linux Today and OS-News as well..
jimf

Jan 13, 2007
5:02 PM EDT
You guys are acting like this is something new. This same scheme has been going on for 'at least' 2 years. If I dig in the archive, I think I still have some very concerned email to paypal which was responded to with a 'yeah we know about it'. Either they can't do anything, or, won't do anything, or have just given up.
DarrenR114

Jan 13, 2007
6:11 PM EDT
jimf -

I wasn't concerned so much with the response from PayPal but from Yahoo!.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if the phishers were setting up those phony domains using stolen credit cards.

You're quite right about this being an old technique - which is exactly why Yahoo! should not have allowed this to happen in the first place.

And that's why I simply wanted to share what transpired in this instance.

Maybe the dirty little secret won't stay secret. I can hope.
jimf

Jan 13, 2007
6:47 PM EDT
> Maybe the dirty little secret won't stay secret. I can hope.

Yeah, there's that, but given the track record, it's cold comfort. Outfits like Yahoo... heck, most corporate entities, respond only when their bottom lines are threatened. Best to just stop using Yahoo and warn your friends, relatives, and anyone else who will listen to do the same.
hkwint

Jan 14, 2007
1:59 AM EDT
Indeed, I get at least one such mail every week, and that's for at least two consecutive years now. I can live with that. I can't live with the people at big companies - like the ones at Yahoo!, being so ignorant to fraud, committed using their services.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!