BUG: Paragraph formatting dies when you hit EDIT on a posted comment

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 2
Author Content
cr

Jan 14, 2007
1:37 PM EDT
I recently had occasion to attempt to make a minor correction to a post I'd made (how SFN became SVN, I can only guess: too much linuxwatch on the brain at the time, that or the noise of my kids in the other room), by clicking this link: http://lxer.com/module/forums/editpost.php?pid=283851

The unedited post has a number of paragraphs, spacing things just the way I wanted them.

I made my fix and hit Preview. That compacted everything into one indigestible paragraph in the Preview, even though my formatting was okay in the text-edit window. I tried inserting new paragraphing, using <br> and <p> tags; they didn't take. When I hit Preview again, everything was still one big lump.

With results like that, I wasn't about to hit the Send button, so I have no idea whether or not this was a Preview artifact. Either way, it's a bug.

If it matters, the browser here is an older Mozilla build I like. I suppose it could be mishandling things, but in this instance I doubt it. Usually, when it screws up, things simply don't appear, and I fire up a faster box with a newer browser to go see what's what. In this context, of course, that was impossible.
hkwint

Jan 14, 2007
3:47 PM EDT
Bug confirmed. To be honest, I can work with it. When you hit the 'submit' button, the formatting is fixed again.

Nonetheless, this is 'unwanted behavior' of our site. Please drop a mail at editors at_sign lxer dot_sign com, with "for the attention of Bob" in the subject line. Point to this discussion for reference.
cr

Jan 14, 2007
4:12 PM EDT
> Please drop a mail at editors at_sign lxer dot_sign com, with "for the attention of Bob" in the subject line. Point to this discussion for reference.

Done. It's good to know that it's just a Preview bug, in case I really botch something up that escapes my multiple previews; thanks.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!