Flash Version

Story: Video interview of Linus Torvalds talking about 2.7 kernelTotal Replies: 14
Author Content
ABCC

Jan 17, 2007
6:59 AM EDT
Is anybody able to get this video to work? I got squat, so I'm curious whether or not ZDNet so foolish as to post a video of interest to their Linux-using readers in a flash version not supported on Linux......
henke54

Jan 17, 2007
7:42 AM EDT
plays well in ubuntu edgy here .... with flash version 9,0,21,78
herzeleid

Jan 17, 2007
8:02 AM EDT
(obligatory 'me too'): plays beautifully in suse 10.1 - using flash 9.0 beta version of 11/20/2006
dinotrac

Jan 17, 2007
9:18 AM EDT
Watched them with 64 bit Opensuse 10.1, using 32-bit firefox and latest flash 9 beta. Works like a champ.
Libervis

Jan 17, 2007
9:25 AM EDT
It may work using flash, but flash is not only non-free (which is a fair reason enough not to use it), but slows down certain pages and consequently the whole browser.

I just hate it when people put videos in flash and don't provide a download link anywhere.
dinotrac

Jan 17, 2007
9:50 AM EDT
>which is a fair reason enough not to use it),

True enough, but, when the question is "Did anybody get it to work?", responding with setup and flash player version is entirely appropriate.
ABCC

Jan 17, 2007
10:56 AM EDT
Ok, the beta version of flash I hadn't tried yet. However, it has just been brought to my attention that the full version has been released yesterday. I hate to say it, but ZDNet is cutting edge!

You can get the full version here: http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod...
dinotrac

Jan 17, 2007
11:04 AM EDT
>However, it has just been brought to my attention that the full version has been released yesterday.

Kudos to Adobe. They actually have open-sourced some flash stuff, and I hope the player will follow. In the meantime, they are treating us a lot better than Macromedia did. We seem to now be on an equal footing with Windows users.

Equal footing? What am I saying? We are WAY ahead. We still get to see flash, but we don't have to put up with Windows while we're doing it.

>I hate to say it, but ZDNet is cutting edge!

Not as much as I hate to hear it! ;0)

herzeleid

Jan 17, 2007
12:58 PM EDT
I'm happy to report that flash v 9.0.31 works fine here. Now, if adobe would deign to make available linux versions of their flagship products, we could call it a win.
tracyanne

Jan 18, 2007
12:22 PM EDT
quote:: True enough, but, when the question is "Did anybody get it to work?", responding with setup and flash player version is entirely appropriate. ::quote

I just followed the links to the Flash for Linux Download page, downloaded the RPM, installed it, and created a link in the the Firefox plugins directory to the flash player binary, which installs to /usr/lib/flash-plugin on Mandriva 2007. Works fine for me.
Abe

Jan 19, 2007
9:48 AM EDT
Quoting:True enough, but, when the question is "Did anybody get it to work?", responding with setup and flash player version is entirely appropriate.

If anyone is interested in setup for U/Kubuntu, follow this link

http://www.howtoforge.com/native_linux_flash_player9_in_ubun...

tuxchick

Jan 19, 2007
10:28 AM EDT
Everyone is so nice and helpful. And I still hate Flash. :)

Well, not Flash itself, but how the poor thing is used and abused to make web surfing as appealing as poking your eyeballs with chopsticks.
jimf

Jan 19, 2007
10:45 AM EDT
> Well, not Flash itself, but how the poor thing is used and abused to make web surfing as appealing as poking your eyeballs with chopsticks.

Well, what do you expect. All the decent creation tools are Win based, so, guess who's making the pointy chopsticks. Give us real flash creation tools in Linux and just maybe it will get better.
azerthoth

Jan 19, 2007
4:07 PM EDT
MS chopsticks???? whats next DRM'd sushi?
jimf

Jan 19, 2007
4:24 PM EDT
> MS chopsticks???? whats next DRM'd sushi?

Well, actually it would be Adobe/Macromedia chopsticks, and, you've got to admit that DRM is pretty fishy :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!