"Philanthropic" Bill

Story: Bill & M. Gates foundation for-profit investments harm the health & environment of the poorTotal Replies: 10
Author Content
beirwin

Jan 17, 2007
3:58 PM EDT
Gates & Co. don't seem to mind how their foundation money is made. Also, don't forget how Bill made his original pile (and continues to do so) from an illegal monopoly.
jimf

Jan 17, 2007
11:10 PM EDT
> from an illegal monopoly

Unfortunately, they haven't been able to make that one stick. Never the less, it's intresting to follow the career of Gates from a psudo geek rich kid with a mommy on the board of IBM through all of his shady business dealings, and, how he came to be the mob leader that he is today.
tuxchick

Jan 18, 2007
7:11 AM EDT
And Dad is boss of the sharkiest, meanest law firms in town.
hkwint

Jan 18, 2007
8:54 AM EDT
And wife is in the board of the Washington post.
rsevenic

Jan 21, 2007
5:08 PM EDT
This is business as usual in the USA and many other places - unfettered capitalism, other than 'incentives' for the already rich. We USA citizens also invest with our tax dollars - and where does that go? We can appropriately criticize the Borg, but we need to look inward as well. It's not simple, nor should we not try to improve.

Richard
tuxchick

Jan 21, 2007
7:36 PM EDT
> we need to look inward as well. It's not simple, nor should we not try to improve.

Would you elaborate on that a bit? I'm not clear on how looking inward will turn BillG into less of an asshat, or turn our legislatures less corruptible. Those fine folks who are addicted to money and power make it their life's work- it's what they're into, and they love it. Us normal people just want to live our lives and not be bothered. It takes a lot of time and energy to have any meaningful impact on the big issues, and it gets rather discouraging at times.
jimf

Jan 21, 2007
9:01 PM EDT
> Us normal people just want to live our lives and not be bothered. It takes a lot of time and energy to have any meaningful impact on the big issues, and it gets rather discouraging at times.

Coming from the 60's generation, I'm very much aware that young-uns all want to right all the wrongs in the world. Truth is that 'if you really, really work at it' you 'just might' manage to make an impact on one major issue. That may or may not give you time to live that 'normal life'.
rsevenic

Jan 22, 2007
6:44 PM EDT
Elaboration requested by Tuxchick

Tuxchick asks: "Would you elaborate on that a bit? I'm not clear on how looking inward will turn BillG into less of an asshat, or turn our legislatures less corruptible."

The problem the Borg exemplifies is endemic in our society. You're likely doing the sort of M$ resistance I do. I use no M$ products and haven't for probably 10 years. I try to move people toward GNU/Linux.

'Looking inward' was meant to suggest that we invest our very own personal tax dollars much the way philanthropic Bill does. Those dollars support things we may abhor. This is a dilemma for me. I write my senators, my congressmen, but haven't been brave enough to withhold my tax dollars. For me 'looking inward' will remain disappointing until I become braver.

Richard
jimf

Jan 22, 2007
7:24 PM EDT
> I write my senators, my congressmen

Most of us do that on a regular basis. not that they listen well :(

> haven't been brave enough to withhold my tax dollars.

Yeah Richard, most of us try to avoid Federal prison. Not sure I consider that exactly cowardly.
dcparris

Jan 23, 2007
1:04 AM EDT
I'm know whether it's brave or cowardly. It's just that I consider a long-term relationship with "Big Bubba" to be pretty low on my list of priorities. What's a few bucks if it keeps Uncle Sam happy and me out of Bubba's cell? I call it a pretty sound investment. ;-)
jdixon

Jan 23, 2007
3:27 AM EDT
> Yeah Richard, most of us try to avoid Federal prison.

Well, there are legal ways to minimize your taxable income. Things such as IRA's, 401K's, 529's, etc. are readily available to pretty much everyone. A good tax lawyer would probably be your best option for pursuing anything beyond that.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!