Hello Everyone! Need help to solve Red Hat Enterprise Linux Questions! Please help me!

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 19
Author Content
robertsean1

Jan 28, 2007
12:02 PM EDT
Hello Everyone!

I'm a currently working on a project related to RHEL. I'm new to this [RHEL]; therefore, I need input from individuals that work with RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux). If possible, can you please anwsers the following questions. Any response to the following question will be really appreciated and will be really helpful to me

Thank you

Regards, Robert Sean

Are you using any virtualization software, if so which one and why. Also, wondering, if you are using any J2EE Server, if so which one and why?

What do you think about RHEL 5 beta 2

What do you like and what don't you like in RHEL 5 Beta 2

What do you think would be the key reasons for customers to use RHEL5

Is migrating from RHEL 4 to RHEL 5 straight forward or are there issues, how about from RHEL 3 to RHEL 5

Are you seeing Red Hat doing anything different with RHEL 5 release

Do you think people will upgrade to RHEL 5

Who do you think is the main competition and who do you think will win and why

tqk

Jan 28, 2007
8:26 PM EDT
"Are you using any virtualization software, if so which one and why."

No. Why would I? All the software I use runs quite well natively in Linux. I've heard of others using such things as bochs, vmware, xen, qemu, & etc. I've also heard of some people using vm's for testing software they're developing.

"What do you think about RHEL 5 beta 2"

I think it's probably expensive, and business likes it because Oracle approves of it. I've no such limitation.

"What do you think would be the key reasons for customers to use RHEL5"

Support from commercial vendors and Oracle.

"Is migrating from RHEL 4 to RHEL 5 straight forward or are there issues, how about from RHEL 3 to RHEL 5"

http://www.redhat.com perhaps? Generally speaking, it's a bad idea to skip versions in upgrades. You try to minimize the number of things that can go wrong. Consider what it would be like upgrading from MS Windows 3.1 --> Vista. How sucessful do you think that would be?

"Who do you think is the main competition and who do you think will win and why"

I've already won. My computer runs the software I want it to run, and it all works extremely well. I haven't had to worry about viruses and malware, I don't need to fork out hundreds of dollars for support software or productivity software, and I have hundreds of developers on my side fixing bugs, adding new features, and watching it for security holes. The price was an utterly outrageous $0.00.

The main competition is laziness, stupidity, and gullibility. You can throw better software in people's faces, and still they'll choose to use junky, brittle, expensive commercial software instead because they're more familiar with it. Sucks, but lots of things in life suck. BTW, I'm not talking about Redhat here. I'm sure their stuff works quite well. Oracle says so.

A question for you: why does ths sound like a homework assignment?
jimf

Jan 28, 2007
8:35 PM EDT
> why does ths sound like a homework assignment?

Probably because it is, and, you offered to do it for him ;-)
tqk

Jan 28, 2007
8:52 PM EDT
>> why does ths sound like a homework assignment? > >Probably because it is, and, you offered to do it for him ;-)

I doubt I gave him any answers he was interested in hearing.
jimf

Jan 28, 2007
9:16 PM EDT
:D
dcparris

Jan 29, 2007
7:58 AM EDT
Strikes me more as a marketing survey. I'll see if I can clear this up.
jimf

Jan 29, 2007
8:10 AM EDT
Either way, It's pretty clueless ;-)
dcparris

Jan 29, 2007
8:34 AM EDT
Considering few of our core posters actually use RHEL - most of us seem to use the CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu and PCLOS distros. Maybe some FC users as well. But I have seen very few posts regarding RHEL.
jdixon

Jan 29, 2007
9:18 AM EDT
> most of us seem to use the CentOS, Debian, Ubuntu and PCLOS distros.

Snort. Newcomers. Slackware all the way. :)
jimf

Jan 29, 2007
9:25 AM EDT
> Snort. Newcomers

Debian as a newcomer huh... :)
jdixon

Jan 29, 2007
9:40 AM EDT
> Debian as a newcomer huh.

In comparison to Slackware, yes. However, I'll grant that (AFAIK) it's the second oldest surviving distribution. :)

Seriously, Slackware does predate Debian. Web sources indicate athat Slackware 1.0 was released on 7/17/1993, while Debian's website indicates that Debian 0.01 through 0.90 were released from August-December 1993.

See http://openskills.info/infobox.php?IDbox=1096 and http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-release... for the gory details.
dcparris

Jan 29, 2007
9:48 AM EDT
Sorry, didn't mean to diss our Slackers!
jimf

Jan 29, 2007
10:05 AM EDT
> Seriously, Slackware does predate Debian.

Ok, old timer... Lol, a whole 3 months...
tuxchick

Jan 29, 2007
10:26 AM EDT
wow, tough audience. The OP was asking some survey questions. Rob Enderle is good at coming up with survey results without actually conducting a survey- is that what you think the OP should do?
jdixon

Jan 29, 2007
11:13 AM EDT
> Lol, a whole 3 months...

Well, Slackware 1.0 to Debian 1.1 (from the timeline, there wasn't actually a Debian 1.0) was actually more like three years. :) But it's sort of like arguing whether you'd rather have a Mercedes or a Rolls, I'll admit. They're both excellent distributions, and Slackware can't begin to touch the plethora of packages available for Debian.

jimf

Jan 29, 2007
11:20 AM EDT
> They're both excellent distributions

No argument there :)
Aladdin_Sane

Jan 29, 2007
6:04 PM EDT
I just realized reading this thread that I think I know whose homework the OP was doing.

My guess is that this is a pollster for Novell/SLES?

No evidence...just a guess.
dcparris

Jan 29, 2007
6:39 PM EDT
I would delete the thread, but hopefully the OP has learned a valuable lesson the hard (embarrassing way). ;-)
tqk

Jan 30, 2007
6:50 AM EDT
> My guess is that this is a pollster for Novell/SLES?

Mine is that it's just some guy, with only minimal knowledge of FOSS, who's discovered he's running RHEL 3 and is now looking at his options, because he's using Java and something he was doing in Java is now broken (or soon could be).

"Upgrade? Try something else? How much work is it going to take to do either? Which way is the crowd going? I want to be with the crowd (for safety reasons)." Cf. "sheeple." No offence intended, OP. Honest.

I've more respect for SuSE. I expect they have no need whatsoever for this sort of "research." SuSE, as an organization, has never been caught napping. I liked their stuff a lot when I used it.

Novell, on the other hand, sure has a short memory. See the Groklaw stuff (http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20070127202224445) about MS sabotaging Win95, wasting a year's development effort on the part of Wordperfect, yet today's Novell appears to have forgotten any of that ever happened. Was forgetting all of that just convenient, or does the present generation at Novell really not know it happened? Pretty clueless on their part regardless.
DarrenR114

Jan 30, 2007
10:45 AM EDT
tqk -

Novell has a history of being clueless regardless of the personality Mr. Nessman and many other "nice guys" who've worked there.

Just look back at their history with "WordPerfect" and their misguided attempt to create a competitive productivity suite comparable to MS-Office.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!