Opening A Lotus Word Pro File

Forum: LinuxTotal Replies: 12
Author Content
dcparris

Jan 29, 2007
6:31 PM EDT
This is related to my security position. I need to open a Lotus Word Pro file (not sure which version). MS Office chokes on it. OpenOffice.org chokes on it. From what I've seen, there doesn't seem to be much - Free or non-Free - that can open it. The best option I've seen so far is to use binutils to extract the text., potentially with plenty of garbage to boot. Any suggestions? I'm e-mailing the boss about it, but I thought I would see if anyone knows how to read this sucker. I'll see if he can e-mail it in RTF for me.

Sheesh! Non-standardizing binary freakazoids!
dek

Jan 29, 2007
6:56 PM EDT
I happen to have the predecessor to WordPro (AmiPro) on an old MS BOX that I keep for compatibility purposes. I would be willing to try to put it through that although I doubt that it would work. Is the file ext, a .sam?

Don K
dcparris

Jan 29, 2007
10:44 PM EDT
It's an .lpw file. I did manage to find a freeware utility that let me open it. I used copy/paste and lost all formatting. Hoepfully, the boss can save it as RTF for me. It just makes me want to scream. I'm gonna see if the boss will let me introduce him to OOo. At least that way, he'll be compatible with most other formats.
jdixon

Jan 30, 2007
2:41 AM EDT
DC:

Was this freeware Lotus Keyview? If not you should try it. It supposedly runs fine under Wine.
dcparris

Jan 30, 2007
7:11 AM EDT
Yeah, it was Keyview. It helped me to realize my boss still manually formats his docs. The SOP is @ 100pp. Can you imagine going through life without ever discovering paragraph styles? Ayyy, ayyyyy, ayyyy!
DarrenR114

Jan 30, 2007
10:51 AM EDT
I have an older copy (circa 1995) of LotusWorks from IBM ... I could see about loading that on my mother-in-law's MS-Windows XP box and work out something for you.
jdixon

Jan 30, 2007
3:28 PM EDT
> I have an older copy (circa 1995) of LotusWorks...

I believe I have a couple of copies of SmartSuite 2000 floating around that have never been used. They came with some IBM 300PL's, most of which have long since been recycled. The problem is that they were (in theory) licensed to the machines, not the user. I still have some of the old machines, so the licenses are good, but it's questionable whether they could be transferred.

BTW, people I've talked to who used them loved AmiPro, but hated WordPro.

> Yeah, it was Keyview.

Well, from what I could find, other than installing WordPro and resaving as an RTF or Microsoft Word document, that's about your only option. I don't know how WordPro runs under Wine, but I'd think it would be OK. You'd think IBM would want to be able to convert their old suite documents to Linux, but apparently not, as they haven't stepped forward with any documentation to help the developers.

I should say free option. Some folks recommend Dataviz's Conversions Plus. which claims to support both AmiPro and WordPro. Of course, it's for Windows, and I have no idea if it works with Wine. One of the web pages I found indicated they had a trial version, but I couldn't find one on their site. Of course, you could probably find a warez version floating around somewhere for testing purposes, but I couldn't possibly advocate that. :)
dek

Jan 30, 2007
6:12 PM EDT
>>BTW, people I've talked to who used them loved AmiPro

I really loved it and hated to give it up but moving to linux has been a good thing inspite of losing AP3. Maybe I should try installing it under wine on a test box.
DavidD

Feb 16, 2007
1:59 AM EDT
I love and use WordPro a lot for writing complex documents with lots of graphs and tables. It is great compared to M$ Word (2003/XP). It is written with a lot of stand-alone windows, rather than parent-child windows, which makes it easier to perform formatting functions. Information can be easily copied and pasted back and forth between it and OOO, as well as M$ Word. It was an excellent product, which unfortunately has been greatly neglected since IBM acquired it. I wish they would opensource it or at least provide a means for OOO to open the lwp and SAM files. It will probably end up on the software heap, like OS2.
DarrenR114

Feb 16, 2007
7:12 AM EDT
DavidD,

Yes, it would be nice if IBM were a bit more FOSS-friendly in this regard. Software like Lotus 1-2-3, WordPro, and Paradox.

With projects like DeveloperWorks, it's sometimes hard to remember that IBM isn't really all that FOSS friendly. If they were truly interested in the progress and growth of FOSS, you'd think that instead of simply giving some sort of blanket license over patents for everybody to use that they would assign those patents to the public domain.
jezuch

Feb 16, 2007
2:47 PM EDT
I wrote my diploma thesis (nothing special... yet) in LyX (whose format is a set of macros on top of LaTeX, which is a set of macros on top of TeX). LyX is a WYSIWYM (What You See Is What You Mean) editor, or document processor, as authors call it. When I later opened OpenOffice Writer I felt like I was teleported into stone age. All this point-and-drool, WYSIWYG stuff... It just seems unprofessional :)
gmartin

Mar 31, 2009
10:40 AM EDT
I would really appreciate anyone who can give me an anwer regarding my file conversion situation. I have Lotus Word Pro (.lwp) files, but not the software, that I need converted to Microsoft Word (.doc) or software I can read the lwp files from (except Lotus Word Pro which I don't have). I have the Microsoft Office Suite software package, but I can't seem to find a competant answer to my problem. Someone, please help!!!!!!!!!! I would be extremely grateful.
jdixon

Mar 31, 2009
11:30 AM EDT
As noted above, the only free solution seems to be Lotus Keyview. Dataviz's Conversions Plus also supports Wordpro, but it's a commercial program.

You can find Keyview at ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/ as kvlotus.exe.

It only allow you to view the document, so you'll have to cut and paste it into Word, and probably lose all of yoru formatting in the process.

You cannot post until you login.