Yawn. . .

Story: Going Fishing for a WinSCP Replacement?Total Replies: 9
Author Content
dek

Jan 30, 2007
1:38 AM EDT
Gnome has this built in to Nautilus. . .;-)

Not that I want to start a DE war or anything, I'm trying to point out some things that your blog missed being that it's sort of one-sided.

;-)
devnet

Jan 30, 2007
5:17 AM EDT
Well, I despise gnome :)

I would rather run XFCE than gnome any day of the week. That doesn't mean I will chastise people for choosing it...I just don't happen to do so.

If I had a car enthusiast site that dealt with imports you wouldn't see me reviewing Fords and Chevy's...and you can bet that if I didn't drive them or own them I wouldn't be talking about them...the same is true for KDE and Gnome on my blog.

No offense of course...Linux is all about choice :) One man's trash is another man's treasure.
dcparris

Jan 30, 2007
7:26 AM EDT
You know, after all this time of using both environments, I am just now beginning to lean in one direction. I think both are usable environments. I forget what it was now, but there was something recently that cropped up that I was able to accomplish easier in KDE than GNOME. But that is the first experience that has had much sway over which environment I use. I still like both, and either is better than the Windows environment any day. ;-) Yes, I like XFce too.
jimf

Jan 30, 2007
7:41 AM EDT
> either is better than the Windows

Duhh... ya think! :D

> XFCE than gnome any day of the week

Thank god I don't have to make 'that' choice ;-)

The tip on using fish with krusader was helpful. Tks devnet :)

dcparris

Jan 30, 2007
8:33 AM EDT
Yeah, not everyone knows these kinds of things.
jimf

Jan 30, 2007
9:25 AM EDT
Actually, I tried to get ssh working in krusader. You get a not supported. So fish? ... go figure :)
devnet

Jan 30, 2007
11:23 AM EDT
I found fish not long ago...I had heard of it but never really messed with it...and the main thing I hadn't thought of was TABS...man, tabs save me tons of time with this. I can patch my joomla sites in a few minutes or change a theme around and view the results...it's amazing. It really has simplified things for me...I honestly don't know how I got along without it :D
helios

Jan 31, 2007
2:40 AM EDT
I had left my wife instructions to upload some pngs to the l4l webserver (several hundred) and had actually opened krusader ftp with split windows so she could just click it open and then drag and drop...everything was set up, but she didn't see it and emailed Devnet for instructions (she has standing orders to do so in the event I am unreachable) Devnet told her about fish and she was able to follow the directions and get it done...however it was super-slow. I don't know it that is just the way fish is vs regular ftp transfers or if it was machine specific. Maybe someone else has some input on that issue. However, fish is super cool for those who get intimidated by the ftp process.

h
jimf

Jan 31, 2007
2:42 AM EDT
> however it was super-slow.

ssh protocol is just a lot slower than ftp ... but it is more secure.

> for those who get intimidated by the ftp process.

Huh? ftp works exactly the same way in krusader. just sub ftp: for fish:
DarrenR114

Jan 31, 2007
5:45 AM EDT
Go FVWM95!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!