re default timings

Story: Beryl Usability - Not Just EyecandyTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
swbrown

Feb 10, 2007
9:43 AM EDT
In an article about usability over eye candy, it's probably not that great an idea to crank the default 0.2s for effect durations of things like dropdown wobble to something like 1.5s, considering it's incredibly annoying to use when that slow, making it eye candy over usability.

jimf

Feb 10, 2007
9:56 AM EDT
As an Artist, I've seen a lot of novelty, but, little aesthetic value in either beryl or compz. As a user, I just find it all functionally useless, mostly 'un'usable at all.
swbrown

Feb 10, 2007
10:34 AM EDT
I find it near impossible to live without. Expose-ish things are great for people like me that tend to have 30+ windows open, Beryl's actually taken it steps further than Apple with the multiple modes for different categories of windows, and it takes far less time to do things with their virtual desktop implementation than GNOME's.

I'm eagerly awaiting the input redirection extension for xorg so bigger improvements can be made (right now, a lot of "Wouldn't it be great if.." statements end when folks realize there's no way right now for the pointer to interact with a transformed window). E.g., I want per-window scaling to make effectively using display walls not a nightmare.
jimf

Feb 10, 2007
10:45 AM EDT
> 30+ windows open

Is this multitasking in the extreme, or just schizophrenia?
swbrown

Feb 10, 2007
11:17 AM EDT
> Is this multitasking in the extreme, or just schizophrenia?

Both, probably. :)
jsusanka

Feb 10, 2007
1:12 PM EDT
beryl rocks - use it everyday and really helps get my work done a lot quicker

saw vista in a store today - so what is new? it has new themes but unless you spend a whole lot of money you aren't going to have the 3d effects

I have a 3d desktop with a 6 year old card - but of course we don't have all the innovation that is going on in redmond they are such ground breakers.
swbrown

Feb 10, 2007
2:05 PM EDT
> saw vista in a store today - so what is new?

DRM. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!