Help

Story: Understanding the Value of SoftwareTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
Teron

Feb 11, 2007
11:59 AM EDT
"There's also the support factor: Even 'free' software can have glitches, and with Microsoft's paid applications, there's someone you can go to for help."

Thre's someone, indeed. The community
tuxchick

Feb 11, 2007
12:07 PM EDT
yeah, and we all know how GOOD the paid support of most commercial vendors is!
tracyanne

Feb 11, 2007
12:33 PM EDT
quote:: we all know how GOOD the paid support of most commercial vendors is! ::quote

In my experience, or at least a small development shop I was involved with around 2000/2001. With Microsoft, it's your credit card details first, then being informed that Microsoft know about the problem, but have no fix available at this time, then being informed that they would be charged $1000.

They found their own solution to the problem, which they offered to sell back to Microsoft for a fee. Microsoft declined.
bigg

Feb 11, 2007
12:41 PM EDT
What, did you miss the headline? They spotted the knowledgeable Microsoft support guy walking Big Foot last week. Unfortunately I don't have a link. I think his name is Gunther something or other.
jdixon

Feb 11, 2007
1:20 PM EDT
Yeah. Summary:

How did it work? Fine. Did you have any problems? No. Would you recommend it? Well, something MIGHT go wrong, and then where would you be?

Hint: The same place you are now, relying on the Internet and local experts for help. Sigh, it gets really old after a while.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!