LXer fonts

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
Sander_Marechal

Feb 11, 2007
1:49 PM EDT
I just removed my borked Edgy installation and installed a fresh Debian Etch as my main desktop. Going to LXer I noticed how ugly the font rendering was. It's terrible! Anyway, I noticed that Arial and Helvetica are specified in the CSS as the default fonts for LXer. I think it's kind of strange to use MS fonts as the default fonts on a Linux site. I know about the msttf core fonts package, but that gives horrible results as well (badly aliased x's and k's for example)

Could you guys add a Linux default font? I propose Dejavu Sans of Bitsream Vera Sans as the default. Dejavu is installed on pretty much any modern Linux distro and it's a beautiful font. If you add it to the font-fmaily CSS line before Arial and Helvetica the Windows people will never notice a thing (when Dejavu isn't present, it'll pick Arial, then Helvetica).
jimf

Feb 11, 2007
1:59 PM EDT
Well, the Browser defaults do kinda suck.

One of the first things I do when setting up in Debian is go to Opera, Firefox (iceweasel), and konq webbrowsers and set the user defaults to Dejavu or FreeFont.
bob

Feb 12, 2007
9:57 AM EDT
Thanks for the patch! Now we have "DejaVu LGC Sans" as our default font.
jdixon

Feb 12, 2007
10:18 AM EDT
> Going to LXer I noticed how ugly the font rendering was.

Strangely, I've never had that problem. The fonts on my Slackware system look pretty much the same as the ones here at work on Windows 2K. And the only fonts I've installed are the Cyberbit and kochi-mincho fonts for Japanese. Hmm...
Aladdin_Sane

Feb 12, 2007
11:59 AM EDT
I learned more about the issue from LXer. See http://lxer.com/module/newswire/view/64737/index.html.

I've never seen a font problem at LXer either. I starting using DejaVu over Vera when I read the article.
tuxchick

Feb 12, 2007
12:29 PM EDT
It's a Debian problem- their default fonts and anti-alias settings are pretty weird. A bit of tweaking will make everything nice again.
jimf

Feb 12, 2007
12:44 PM EDT
> A bit of tweaking will make everything nice again.

As I said, a standard thing to do :)
jdixon

Feb 12, 2007
12:53 PM EDT
> It's a Debian problem....

Why does that not surprise me? :) Seriously, the longer I use Linux the more I realize that almost any distribution can be made to work the way you want, it's merely a matter of what problems you will encounter along the way. Each distribution has it's strength's; and each has it's problems. For some reason, Debian's problems often seem to strike me as more esoteric or quirky than those of the other distributions. Probably because of its triune nature and relative stability otherwise.
tuxchick

Feb 12, 2007
12:56 PM EDT
I think Debian's Gnome and KDE packages are pretty vanilla; unlike Ubuntu or Fedora, they don't do much to them. Sometimes I like this, sometimes I get annoyed. :) But I still like Debian best. Though I am liking Fedora more for their strong stand on remaining 100% Free.

jimf

Feb 12, 2007
1:02 PM EDT
> Why does that not surprise me? :)

Debian makes it good, we make it pretty :D

Debian emphasis is on stability and function. That leaves some of the aesthetic niceties to the user, which is actually not a bad thing for an experienced user. Personally, I'll rearrange the aesthetics to my taste no matter how it is, so, why should Debian agonize over it...
jdixon

Feb 12, 2007
1:18 PM EDT
> Though I am liking Fedora more for their strong stand on remaining 100% Free.

Well, Fedora has two problems for me. The first is that I don't like the idea of supporting Red Hat with no equivalent support in return. The Red Hat distribution was supported by Red Hat. Fedora isn't, but Red Hat gets the benefit of any Fedora support offered by the community. I don't consider that a fair trade. The second is that Fedora is cutting edge by anyone's definition, and my personal preference leans more to stability than cutting edge. Which always brings me back to Slackware or Debian as my distro's of choice, and I'm more comfortable with Slackware for my personal use.
jimf

Feb 12, 2007
1:27 PM EDT
> > Though I am liking Fedora more for their strong stand on remaining 100% Free.

That's good for them, and for Linux, but, hardly changes my love of Debian's way of doing it.
dcparris

Feb 12, 2007
3:21 PM EDT
You know, I actually don't care much about whether Red Hat benefits from Fedora support. If you're talking GPL'ed code, it's coming back anyway (as far as I know). And Red Hat surely puts its fair share of hard work into development - I suspect it all pans out fairly nicely for everyone. I also don't have a problem with using cutting-to-bleeding-edge software. I think I'm with Jim, though, in that I do like how Debian does things (at least, so far). I also prefer setting up my own desktop.
tuxtom

Feb 12, 2007
3:59 PM EDT
I agree with jdixon on Fedora and RedHat. I much prefer to use CentOS for my customers that insist on a RedHat-based system. It's basically free RHEL. Kinda like taking back from RedHat what they have taken from Fedora.

Personally I prefer Debian and its derivatives for both desktop and server and try to convince my customers to use the same.
Sander_Marechal

Feb 16, 2007
2:42 AM EDT
Quoting:It's a Debian problem- their default fonts and anti-alias settings are pretty weird. A bit of tweaking will make everything nice again.

Can you post how I do that? Or better, write a tutorial and submit it!
tuxchick

May 07, 2007
3:55 PM EDT
Aiee, I never followed up. So sorry. It's pretty simple- install msttcorefonts, which are in Contrib, and your Debian Etch web fonts will be all perty. KDE has a nice font configurator thingy. Fonts on Linux are bizarre; when you make changes, try restarting X or even rebooting to get the real picture. On a big CRT monitor try 96 DPI, anti-aliasing turned on with medium sub-pixel RGB hinting. This also looks pretty good on my laptop.

This is a good article for how to install proprietary crud on your nice Debian system with a minimum of pain: http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/debian-linux-help/80445-how...
Sander_Marechal

May 07, 2007
3:58 PM EDT
Thanks TC :-)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!