Looking for a better word....

Story: Dell and Linux: just another fan danceTotal Replies: 4
Author Content
vainrveenr

Mar 09, 2007
11:59 AM EDT
Looking for a better expression for what Dell is trying to carry out other than doing a "fan dance" or "raising false hopes". Anyone have such an expression?? The antonym of this would be something like FUD.
jimf

Mar 09, 2007
12:31 PM EDT
> "fan dance"

That could work :)

/me sees Dell as a really ugly overweight bear doing a fan dance....
tracyanne

Mar 09, 2007
1:31 PM EDT
It was simple security that moved me to Linux (and laziness). I no longer wanted to buy into the Windows need for anti Virus software, and small but significant amounts of my time that was required to keep the system secure.

It is the reasons stated in this article http://penguinpetes.com/b2evo/index.php?p=264&more=1&c=1&tb=... that keep me with Linux, and I've seen nothing about Vista that even temps me to run it as a second system on a virtual machine. As far as I am concerned Microsoft bankrupted any desire I might have had to use their products a long time ago.

I'd gladly pay what Microsoft are charging, for the top end Vista version, for any distribution of Linux. In fact if Dell actually had a clue, they could easily get away with charging more for a Linux equipped box than they currently charge for a windows box.
vorbote

Mar 09, 2007
3:22 PM EDT
@vainreenr

In USiAn Beltway parlance[1] that's called the "Potomac Two-step".

[1] In the U.S. of A. there are two different countries: Inside the District of Columbia Beltway Highway and outside of it. Very different planets I might add.
dinotrac

Mar 09, 2007
3:41 PM EDT
>In USiAn Beltway parlance[1] that's called the "Potomac Two-step".

Not to be confused with the "Texas Two Step", the Potomac Two-step is actually a derivative of the "Potomac Two-Face".

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!