Social Networking

Forum: LXer Meta ForumTotal Replies: 16
Author Content
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
2:17 PM EDT
Does anyone use the social networking sites, such as LinkedIn, Xing, Plaxo, Facebook, etc.?
azerthoth

Mar 22, 2007
2:22 PM EDT
You mean this isnt a social site?

... maybe your right, depending on who is talking things can get less than sociable here now and then *grin*

and to answer your question, I avoid all the "social networking sites" like the plague.
tracyanne

Mar 22, 2007
2:58 PM EDT
I use ezboard, have some Linux oriented forums on various peoples boards. Unfortunately ezboard is about to become history, as the owners have now developed (well at the moment it seems to be in perpetual beta) Yuku, which seems to be an amalgum of all that bad in these social networking sites, full of ajax driven bling and endless opportunities for badly done photos of self and baby and pets, in what is called the my friends list.

By being involved with people on ezboard, I've managed to get a goodly number of people to try Linux, and most of them are now using Linux as their main platform.
jimf

Mar 22, 2007
3:53 PM EDT
> depending on who is talking things can get less than sociable here now and then *grin*

Just shows that friends don't always agree. For the most part the regulars here are a pretty good group.

As far as 'social sites' I'm with you azerthoth. I do most of my socializing on IRC.
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
4:10 PM EDT
Actually, I've managed to get CharLUG speakers through LinkedIn, and have met some pretty interesting people. Xing is another site I've found somewhat useful. My problem is, I could spend all day networking and never actually accomplish any work. ;-)
Sander_Marechal

Mar 22, 2007
4:49 PM EDT
In a previous millennium I used MUDs. Does that count?
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
5:15 PM EDT
MUDs? Is that Multi-User Dungeons?
dcparris

Mar 22, 2007
7:20 PM EDT
Actually, I was kind of hoping someone here uses LinkedIn.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 22, 2007
11:02 PM EDT
@dcparis: Yep. I was an avid player of Nanvaent (http://nanvaent.org/) back in university.
jezuch

Mar 23, 2007
6:01 AM EDT
I don't use social networking sites because I'm anti-social. Does that count? ;)
dcparris

Mar 23, 2007
7:14 AM EDT
Perhaps I should have emphasized 'professional' networking instead of social networking.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 23, 2007
7:30 AM EDT
I use LinkedIn. If I were any closer to Raleigh, Boston, SF or any other actually technical area instead of this awful bible-thumping dark-age reject of a crossroads, it would be more useful to me. Right now, it's more of a "I wonder what Bob is up to right now?" kind of service, which is its own reward I guess.

Several of the people I have worked with have used it successfully to get contract work. But they didn't move to NC.

There isn't even an SCA chapter within decent reach. Argh!

dcparris

Mar 23, 2007
7:40 AM EDT
So far, it's mainly been great for getting to meet people, and then there's the CharLUG speakers I've gotten. I don't actually use it much for socializing. It's strictly a professional deal for me.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 23, 2007
7:40 AM EDT
SCA? As in The Society for Creative Anachronism? That's more fun than is good for you :-)

I would have though the bible-belt types would like that though. You know, going medieval on eachother, burning witches, etcetera :-P
Bob_Robertson

Mar 23, 2007
8:04 AM EDT
Too many Pagans for the bible-belt types to be comfortable around.

The only thing I really resent about having kids is not being able to drag them to Pennsic, too young. Not that that stopped anyone else...
herzeleid

Mar 23, 2007
8:31 AM EDT
I'm on linkedIn - I was invited in by a guy I've done some consulting for, but I haven't really done anything with it yet..
dinotrac

Mar 24, 2007
5:49 AM EDT
>I'm on linkedIn - I was invited in by a guy I've done some consulting for, but I haven't really done anything with it yet..

Hey! I was going to say that!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [Editors, MEMBERS, SITEADMINS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!