My own solution to this....

Story: ChangeLog: Run Linux, lose warrantyTotal Replies: 6
Author Content
theduke459

Mar 26, 2007
1:26 PM EDT
I've discovered the 'NX protocol', along with FreeNX and the no-cost NX client from nomachine.com. With this I can run my X desktop remotely in it's own window under MS Windows. It's a great alternative, and the perfect way to wean myself from my addiction to Windows. I've already moved all my email to Linux, and have been quite pleased with the result.

Becasue NX is a compressing protocol, you can access your X desktop from virtually anywhere in the world (which I also have successfully tested).
Bob_Robertson

Mar 26, 2007
1:30 PM EDT
I just run Linux and open X applications back to my desktop through the SSH tunnel.

desktop$ ssh -Y ip.of.home.machine passphrase? ******

Last login: Sun Mar 25 21:43:51 2007 from 10.2.3.4 ~ home$ kmail & ~ home$ konqueror & ~ home$ etc &
theduke459

Mar 26, 2007
1:41 PM EDT
So, you're enlightened as well! I would point out that NX compresses to the point that nomachine.com claims you can get a usable remote desktop over a 9600 modem. Also, it's nice that you can bread a session and later re-connect.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 26, 2007
1:43 PM EDT
NX is nice, but I hate the fact that there are no decent Free clients around. A couple of them have been started and some work, but none as nicely or reliably as the non-free NoMachine client.
Bob_Robertson

Mar 26, 2007
1:49 PM EDT
Well, what I did first was buy commercial X client and SSH for Windows, which worked just as well. But that was in 1996, which I used on my one Windows machine until going completely Linux in 2000.

So no, not really enlightened. Just using the functionality that has always been available in X.
azerthoth

Mar 26, 2007
2:07 PM EDT
For windows to linux PuTTy for SSH and then Xming for drawing the windows. Works like a charm and has the redeeming quality of being free.
devnet

Mar 26, 2007
2:41 PM EDT
I just use Linux and phone the company and let them know they're know-nothing a$$e$. :) I make sure that I'm really vocal about it too.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!