Is that a Glue Smell?

Story: No, really! Ubuntu is not Linux! Try it on for size!Total Replies: 26
Author Content
devnet

Mar 28, 2007
5:09 AM EDT
It must be...because he's been sniffing it on this article. I'll make no secrets that this blog writer was in a mini-spat with my blog, but I will make a beef with him when he writes nonsense.

He does write some good articles, which is a shame. But he also takes things quite out of context: http://tinyurl.com/37dfjb
bigg

Mar 28, 2007
6:43 AM EDT
I actually misread the headline, to mean Linux is not Ubuntu. *That* would have been worth posting.

> they came here looking for a free replacement for Windows

People who want something that looks and acts like Windows already have the perfect product. It's called Windows. There is always a cost in moving to a new OS.
jdixon

Mar 28, 2007
7:02 AM EDT
To me, the best line was in one of the comments:

> Not many Windows users would have much use for a buggy alpha vertion.

Oh. Tell me why you're using Windows again, please.
SFN

Mar 28, 2007
7:07 AM EDT
You guys paid much more attention to the article than I did. All I can remember is:

Something about Windows users. Something else about Windows users. HEY LOOK AT ME!! Something about Linux. Something else about Linux. I'M STILL HERE!!

devnet

Mar 28, 2007
7:21 AM EDT
I like the comment he made when I posted this article on my blog: http://linux-blog.org/index.php?/archives/90-mv-elitism-devn...

Comment is as follows:

Quoting:Dear Helios,

"Elitist" is a hate word. Same category as "nigger", "kike", and "fag".

How do you propose to advocate Linux if you are going to deride anybody who gets really good at it as an "elitist"?

I totally didn't get that at all. But hey, to each their own. But, some peoples kids...I tell ya ;p
SFN

Mar 28, 2007
7:25 AM EDT
Wow. Elitist is none of those things.

Time for someone to up the meds.
bigg

Mar 28, 2007
7:27 AM EDT
It always strikes me as odd when I see people claiming Linux has to be designed by Windows users who have never seen Linux. If a Windows user doesn't like a feature, change it. What?

You have to market Linux, which means telling people what you do differently and convincing them the Linux way is better. We obviously want to make Linux easy to use, but that has nothing to do with new users, that is something existing users also want.

How about if Ford decided to go after Honda customers with the marketing campaign "Buy our new car and you'll almost get the Honda Civic experience!" They wouldn't sell many cars that way, but Honda would sure be happy for the endorsement.
azerthoth

Mar 28, 2007
7:56 AM EDT
Not that I dont agree with you bigg, in theory thats exactly how it should work. A recent story comes to mind though where our Geek in Chief Linus sent in patches to the Gnome folks and to date has gotten exactly nowhere with it (to my knowledge).

If folks are willing to ignore the Linux lead geek it leads one to wonder where it leaves Joe Sixpack.
dinotrac

Mar 28, 2007
9:08 AM EDT
>Time for someone to up the meds.

Or get off them.

Seems like there's never a shortage of people wishing to curtail freedom of expression.
tuxchick

Mar 28, 2007
9:13 AM EDT
?? I thought the article itself was quite sensible. Maybe I need some meds?
dinotrac

Mar 28, 2007
9:27 AM EDT
TC -

Article is fine. You may need meds, but the article has nothing to do with it.
bigg

Mar 28, 2007
9:40 AM EDT
> ?? I thought the article itself was quite sensible. Maybe I need some meds?

"I nominate that Ubuntu be crowned and knighted as the designated New Free Windows"

Ubuntu is not Windows, free or otherwise.
SFN

Mar 28, 2007
10:21 AM EDT
Quoting:>Time for someone to up the meds.

Or get off them.

Seems like there's never a shortage of people wishing to curtail freedom of expression.

The meds comment wasn't about the article. It was about the comment he made that devnet posted. Are you saying that you too equate the term "elitist" with those terms?
dcparris

Mar 28, 2007
10:36 AM EDT
I think he was saying that the person referring to 'elitist' as a 'hate word' is probably too medicated as it is.
devnet

Mar 28, 2007
11:01 AM EDT
The person referring to elitist as a 'hate word' is the author of that blog. He had a real problem with me using that term elitism and labelling people who look down their nose at new users telling them to RTFM when the manual could use vast improvements to be friendlier to the new, less tech savvy crowd that Linux has attracted.

helios jumped in and asked what the guy was smoking and then that Mr. Pete there ripped off that elitist-is-a-hate-word one liner.
jimf

Mar 28, 2007
11:15 AM EDT
Don'cha just love made up phrases like 'hate-word'... In reality, it's all politically motivated BS, but then, I'm an elitist, so what do I know ;-)
SFN

Mar 28, 2007
11:20 AM EDT
I'm generally irritated by the various words made out of "hate". "Hater" is one of those that just grates on my nerves.

And "hatin'"! Let's make up a word, then butcher it!
dcparris

Mar 28, 2007
11:29 AM EDT
Aw, those are just slang.
jimf

Mar 28, 2007
11:42 AM EDT
> Aw, those are just slang.

'just slang' is what eventually becomes the language...
techiem2

Mar 28, 2007
12:44 PM EDT
Hey now, dun be hatin on them haters!

/me ducks to avoid the flying computer parts
SFN

Mar 28, 2007
12:53 PM EDT
I threw my daughter's boyfriend out of the house for using the phrase "don't be hatin', yo".

This was after an afternoon filled with such gems as "they can bring it cuz that's how I roll", "I don't be diggin' on no Deep Purple" and "I gots what I gots."
tuxchick

Mar 28, 2007
12:58 PM EDT
ye gods, SFN. I admire your restraint. I vote for disabling his ability to speak entirely, since he's just abusing the privilege. Any sharp instrument will work.
dcparris

Mar 28, 2007
1:08 PM EDT
Hey. That's abusive & violent! I'm gonna quit blogging in protest. Oh wait. I never got started. Oh well.
dthacker

Mar 28, 2007
2:34 PM EDT
SFN, Thanks! There at least two of us fathers on the same wavelength.

Dave
dinotrac

Mar 28, 2007
3:56 PM EDT
dt -

Not just two...
dcparris

Mar 28, 2007
4:27 PM EDT
I'm with ya'll.
jdixon

Mar 28, 2007
7:51 PM EDT
> I'm an elitist,...

Sigh. No elitehood for me I guess. I'll just have to settle for being a Slacker. :)

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!