So, let me get this straight...

Story: "Open Source and Linux Has No Place in OLPC"Total Replies: 38
Author Content
Teron

Mar 30, 2007
1:19 AM EDT
He wants 'doze or OS X on the machine because the Sugar GUI sucks? Does he know about KDE, GNOME, XFCE? Or Enlightenment? A bad GUI is no reason to throw out Linux as a whole: It's a reason for throwing the bad GUI out and replacing it with something that people really use.
SFN

Mar 30, 2007
4:47 AM EDT
Exactly. He pretends that's not the case by throwing this in:

Quoting:Just to clarify, I don’t think the decision to have Linux on this computer is a bad idea to begin with, but I do believe the Sugar GUI that the students see and use will be very limiting.

and that might have been believable were it not for the title that he chose for the article.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 30, 2007
5:26 AM EDT
Why are we actually still posting such tripe articles from OS Weekly? He's only after the page hits. Let's not give them. Not to say we shouldn't post any FUD articles anymore, but tripe is pouring from OS Weekly on a daily basis these days :-/
dcparris

Mar 30, 2007
8:09 AM EDT
Sander, you have my ear. How many people here do not want to see OS Weekly anymore?
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 30, 2007
8:11 AM EDT
sander:

Two things at once,

1. You are right about OS Weekly as of late and I must apologize for allowing some of the recent stuff passing as articles from OS Weekly for getting through. If I had taken a closer look at them they would have never hit the queue in the first place. I am sorry.

2. I do believe that in order to really be informed about something (in this case Linux or Linux News) you have to be aware of what is being said about the issues at hand, both true and untrue. I have tried to strike a balance in judging who is pushing the FUD, what it is about and what is being said. When I read an article that is FUD I try to decide if it is crap you need to know about or just plain crap.

I feel that I do a pretty good job overall in filtering out the worthless stuff but you make a very valid point regarding OS Weekly as of late.

My FUD-o-Meter is always open to updates and in this case it needed one.

SFN

Mar 30, 2007
8:36 AM EDT
So people should not have been told that someone has written an article suggesting that Linux is not the appropriate OS for OLPC?

Sorry, I don't see that at all.
swiftnet

Mar 30, 2007
8:54 AM EDT
This is a joke, right? Windows Vista interface is different than Window XP's. Mac OSX doesn't resemble either of the Windows Interfaces. The *nix command line doesn't resemble any of the GUI's, What is this 'author' talking about? There is no Grand Unified UI, so the whole article is just plain silly.

Having WIndows on the OLPC would be counterproductive, since Windows comes with nothing of any use except for the web browser. By the time Windows is loaded up and ready to go, you need a 1ghz processor, 10 Gb of drive space and 512Mb of ram. Unless there are stripped down versions of all Windows software, which MS doesn't currently provide, the modest OLPC would not be powerful enough to do anything with a fully operational Windows based operating system.

Mac OSX is a better choice, because it is less bloated, but how are people with little money going to 'upgrade' to a Mac? Mac's aren't cheap. iTunes and iPods are not what this is about.

Linux/BSD are the smart way to go, because they can run on almost any hardware, are truly free, are standards based and in my experiences, just as good if not better than MS's or Apple's offerings.

Cheers,

Alex
jimf

Mar 30, 2007
8:55 AM EDT
@Don

Well, we do get some interesting conversations out of OS Weekly FUD... Maybe just cull most of the worst of it?
dcparris

Mar 30, 2007
8:55 AM EDT
SFN, I really think we should have posted this story. In agreement with Scott's position, we do tend to post stuff and let the audience figure out whether it's worthwhile. Maybe I'm just having a bad day and don't realize it. After all, you're the one who posted it.

I was definitely curious as to whether many others would express a desire to drop OS Weekly. I doubt that will prove to be the case, especially since most readers here prefer to be able to judge for themselves.
SFN

Mar 30, 2007
8:56 AM EDT
Quoting:Maybe just cull most of the worst of it?

There you go. You could do a feature called "OSWeeklyWeekly".

edited for clarity's sake
CMatters

Mar 30, 2007
9:02 AM EDT
The key is to keep an open mind. A smart individual can read something and determine it's worth and merit based on experience and other information available. To not publish such stories would be an attempt to make that decision for the readers and possibly create a bias. I beleive this with all media.. whether it be conservative FOX or liberal CNN. I want to hear both points of view. I'd like to think it makes me well rounded.

Personally, I find it entertaining to read FUD. It at least let's me know what the "arguments" are against Linux so I can be prepared to slaughter them when I talk to clients.

Scott_Ruecker

Mar 30, 2007
9:35 AM EDT
Quoting:Well, we do get some interesting conversations out of OS Weekly FUD...

I know for a fact that articles like this one do get people talking in our forum threads more often than not. I have said many times that the threads about the articles on our new-swire are as informative and entertaining, if not more so, than the articles themselves. The consistent high quality of our threads is one of the major reasons LXer continues to grow as it has.

I don't know about all of you but I go back to many of our threads to re-read conversations, get additional information and take in divergent opinions for articles and personal research every day.
DarrenR114

Mar 30, 2007
10:31 AM EDT
And you never know who's reading LXer - I just found out that I'm not all that swift - I'm "swiftian": http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/03/a_...

(think "A Modest Proposal")
richo123

Mar 30, 2007
10:40 AM EDT
LXer is a Linux fanboy site? Nahhh!
SFN

Mar 30, 2007
10:40 AM EDT
This is a fanboy site?
SFN

Mar 30, 2007
10:41 AM EDT
Jinx. You owe me a Coke.
richo123

Mar 30, 2007
10:44 AM EDT
LOL. Great fanboys think alike and simultaneously ;-)
jimf

Mar 30, 2007
11:03 AM EDT
> You could do a feature called "OSWeeklyWeekly".

More like 'FUD of the week'

Actually that could work :D
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 30, 2007
11:32 AM EDT
jimf: No doubt,

FUD article of the week

Popular FUD article(s)

Submit FUD articles

I will think of more

Bye the way, I left a comment correcting the author on his description of LXer.
SFN

Mar 30, 2007
11:37 AM EDT
Quoting:Bye the way, I left a comment correcting the author on his description of LXer.
Typical fanboy behavior. ;-)
DarrenR114

Mar 30, 2007
12:05 PM EDT
I'd rather be a Linux Fanboy than an MS FUDge packer. ;-)
SFN

Mar 30, 2007
12:10 PM EDT
I just spit Pepsi out my nose.
bigg

Mar 30, 2007
1:05 PM EDT
Personally, I don't see any value to posting this type of story. There's no news. There's no informative commentary. It's the equivalent of a drunk in a bar rambling on to anyone who will listen.

If you want to blacklist authors like Brandon Watts and Matt Hartley, or post their columns in a section titled "Drunken Ramblings", that's fine with me.
dcparris

Mar 30, 2007
1:07 PM EDT
Aha! At least I was smart enough to put my drink down. I've learned from doing similiar too many times.
jimf

Mar 30, 2007
1:32 PM EDT
/me passes box of Kleenex to SFN :)
Sander_Marechal

Mar 30, 2007
2:56 PM EDT
> My FUD-o-Meter is always open to updates and in this case it needed one.

Perhaps you guys should add a tag named "FUD" to LXer?

Also, I didn't want to suggest not posting any OS Weekly stories but just that we don't post *all* of them.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 30, 2007
3:11 PM EDT
Quoting:Also, I didn't want to suggest not posting any OS Weekly stories but just that we don't post *all* of them.

I didn't take it that way but I am going to take more time in determining if they are relevant much more than I have been. That will likely weed out most, but not all I hope. Brandon Watts and Matt Hartley have written good stuff before, it just seems they are mixing FUD, leaps of logic and a little sensationalism for good measure.

For there sake I hope they are making money doing it, I cannot imagine any other reason for purposely lampooning ones credibility as a writer. I mean, if everyone is going to hate my writing it at least better make me some money right?
jimf

Mar 30, 2007
3:23 PM EDT
> Perhaps you guys should add a tag named "FUD" to LXer?

How about a FUD vote counter checkbox. The article with the most votes would get 'FUD of the week'.
Sander_Marechal

Mar 30, 2007
3:29 PM EDT
I remember a couple of months ago there used to be weekly roundups of LXer. Perhaps they can be brought back in different form? But instead of listing all articles, just pick out the most interesting, newsworthy and most discussed ones. And FUD of the week ofcourse. It could make for a nice weekly LXer feature.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 30, 2007
5:57 PM EDT
sander: You are a genius!

So what does everyone else think?

How would you like it if I did a "LXer Weekly Roundup" or some such named thing? If you have suggestions for a different/better name for it please say so.

It would cover the most popular, talked about and infamous(FUD) articles of the previous week with some editorial banter/rant/thoughts provided by yours truly. I would have the opportunity to summarize and comment on the threads concerning the articles as well.

I think it will be cool as all get out. It will be a good way to get caught up if you've been out of touch or need help in wrapping your head around a whole week's worth of Linux News.

Its genius I tell ya genius!
ABCC

Mar 30, 2007
6:26 PM EDT
You mean we can have two rounds of Matt Hartley bashing?!?!
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 30, 2007
6:44 PM EDT
It would be an editorial on the week's big stories with links to them and I would also talk about what was said in the threads concerning them up to that point.

If one of them happens to be considered FUD it would be a recap the bashing happening in the threads related to it.
ABCC

Mar 30, 2007
6:50 PM EDT
Perhaps you incorporate the "Top 3 cheap shots", a bit like browsing slashdot for +5 funny comments.

A deeper look into FUD could be very interesting though. I often come across articles that appear to rehash the same PR release over a period of weeks, or are a rehash of 'talking points about linux'. This always raises the question

"Where is the FUD-Fountain, and can we put a plug in it?"

As for the editorial it gets my vote, the original reporting and commentry here has always been of a high standard, I'm sure giving more prominence to the input of the LXer team would not go unappreciated.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 30, 2007
7:01 PM EDT
Quoting:A deeper look into FUD could be very interesting though.

You said what I was thinking, I would like the opportunity to try and see the forest for the trees, to reverse a saying, and explore why it was written and for what purpose.

Having the collective thoughts (comments in the threads) of all the regular LXer's at my disposal can't hurt either. :-)

Sander_Marechal

Mar 30, 2007
11:58 PM EDT
Quoting:A deeper look into FUD could be very interesting though.

Yes, that would be very interesting. Far better even than just pointing and laughing at a FUD piece.

Also, for added bonus the weekly roundup could be sent out as a newsletter as well. That would probably drive some extra traffic to LXer and help people catch up that do not have the time to visit regularly.
hkwint

Apr 01, 2007
3:50 AM EDT
IMHO: Please don't ban OSweekly. Just don't post the harsh trash. After all, it is about open source, it is entertaining, it is worthwile discussing, it makes us focus on the benefits of open source, and I'd say it's news too (though the last one is debatable). A FUD- tag / warning / category could be a good idea, so people who don't understand why this is posted can skip it.

About the 'Week in Review' feautere: That worked very well in the past, and sometimes was our top story (with the most readers) that week (even though it used to be posted at Sundays!). Very good for the busy people. I wish I had more time (after May I will), than I would do it myself probably (but that doesn't help anyone in April, does it?).

I saw you posted the 1st April roundup with 10 links and personal summaries (adding something personal is important in my opinion), which looks very neat (thanks!) Personally, I'd say go for 15 links, but 10 is ok too; well done!
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 01, 2007
9:04 AM EDT
hkwint: at first I only had like 7 or 8 and I realized, "Wait a second, I need more than that."

Thanks for the compliments.
Sander_Marechal

Apr 01, 2007
12:37 PM EDT
Great work Scott :-) That personal touch makes it much better than the old roundup, which was really a list of links.
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 01, 2007
12:47 PM EDT
sander: Thank You, I try to capture what the overall opinion on LXer is, and LXer's take on it in the description paragraph.

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!