Real OS?

Story: "Open Source and Linux Has No Place in OLPC"Total Replies: 11
Author Content
CMatters

Mar 30, 2007
8:27 AM EDT
Brandon states: 'They may "learn" about computers and technology on this laptop, but if you sat them down in front of a real OS, they wouldn’t know what to do.'

Someone forgot to tell me that Linux was not a real OS. My bad. I guess I have to follow the lemmings back to Windows. Wait, what exactly makes a real OS?
jimf

Mar 30, 2007
8:50 AM EDT
I'd say that Brandon got that one backwards :D
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 30, 2007
9:38 AM EDT
A real OS is one that the author or the person paying him to write thinks you should use.

Someone should explain to him that Linux is not just a figment of his imagination, it is real. ;-)
tuxchick

Mar 30, 2007
10:29 AM EDT
Lordamercy, I smell another astroturf campaign. Why would anyone oppose OLPC? Except those who have a vested interest in cruddy overpriced obsolete techology, and who have absolutely no vision beyond the current financial quarter. Whoever is funding these shills has forgotten that any and all entry points to technology are good. Today's OLPC user stands a better chance of becoming tomorrow's Ridiculous Commercial Crap customer than someone who has no exposure to computers.

The same predictable shill speech patterns are rampant:

"I’m all about children having open and easy access to technology..." though I have to give him credit for his very creative way of saying "but" without actually using the word.

"Just to clarify" "Don't get me wrong"

Don't worry, your message is crystal clear. I just hope you held out for a reasonable price.
Scott_Ruecker

Mar 30, 2007
11:35 AM EDT
I wish I could go back in time and never allowed this article to be posted. He is so full of it, it hurts my head.

I will be paying extra special attention anything written by him from now on.
tuxchick

Mar 30, 2007
1:03 PM EDT
Scott, as you said in the other thread it's good to be aware of what the FUDsters and dimwits are saying. I rather liked the suggestions for "FUD of the week", though it would get predictable as it would be dominated by OSWeakly and MadPenguin.
dcparris

Mar 30, 2007
1:05 PM EDT
Scott, you were right to post it. That's o.k. Consider it was submitted by someone whose 2nd initial begins with an "F".

[Sarcastic moment] Moo! [/Sarcastic moment]

It's actually good you posted it. It's frustrating as I don't know what to read, but good that you posted it. We do have to remember that we cannot do the thinking for our readers.
ABCC

Mar 30, 2007
6:43 PM EDT
Im quite happy that this one was posted, most of the articles on OSweekly leave me bitterly disappointed that they couldn't think up more creative FUD. This one though, is a corker.

I like seeing these guys makes asses of themselves, it's the articles that are full of platitudes and fawning praise that i don't like seeing (like the annual WSJ linux piece). To me the FUD pieces highlight how far linux has come, the 'objective' articles are the ones that show that the bright future is still a long ways away.
hiohoaus

Mar 31, 2007
1:59 PM EDT
"Real" OS?

That means it's using bulk quantities of floating-point numbers, yes?

Do Microsoft's bank accounts earn bonus points for Windows? If so, it probably qualifies as a DOUBLE PRECISION OS.

/ME waves to those here who were infected by ForTran while it was popular. (-:
hkwint

Apr 01, 2007
3:39 AM EDT
Scott: Good you posted it. To fight FUD you must be familiar with it.
CMatters

Apr 01, 2007
11:40 AM EDT
I think this says it all...

http://www.ubergeek.tv/article.php?pid=54
Scott_Ruecker

Apr 01, 2007
12:19 PM EDT
I Love it!!

I want the chair, fem-bot and the goats!!

Posting in this forum is limited to members of the group: [ForumMods, SITEADMINS, MEMBERS.]

Becoming a member of LXer is easy and free. Join Us!